User Tag List

Thread: Don't get burned-rental cars and toll roads

Blog Entries

Don't get burned-rental cars and toll roads

After our trip to Denver a few weeks ago, I noticed a charge of $12 from Alamo. I figured they were just catching up something on the amount I paid. But I looked at it closer and noticed is was a toll road charge.

I took a short segment of a toll road but never saw a booth, never thought about it again. Turns out they have license plate readers and bill the rental company who in turn marks up with a fee then charges the customer. I found, and was somewhat horrified, by the following article explaining the racket. I don't run across toll roads where I live so this is new to me.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-...r-rental-cars/
    #######
    Fair dinkum legend

Thanks for the info can deffinately add up if not aware it sounds like

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
    Thanks for the info can deffinately add up if not aware it sounds like
    How about Fox rent a car? Trying to charge customers a $50 fee PER TOLL.
    #######
    Fair dinkum legend

Quote Originally Posted by treyster View Post
    How about Fox rent a car? Trying to charge customers a $50 fee PER TOLL.
    I tried to do the cancel and book cheaper type rental but budget did not allow that it was going to try to charge me a $50 cancellation fee

Quote Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
    I tried to do the cancel and book cheaper type rental but budget did not allow that it was going to try to charge me a $50 cancellation fee
    I have amended my Thrifty reservation for AC six times now. Price has gone from $196 to $121. Now I wonder if they will try to screw me with AC Expressway tolls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    I have amended my Thrifty reservation for AC six times now. Price has gone from $196 to $121. Now I wonder if they will try to screw me with AC Expressway tolls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I have the budget fast pass or easy check in so I didn't see anywhere to try to get the different rate it was $15 difference is also not a huge deal but wasn't worth paying $50 to cancel

This happened to us in Florida. In addition to the toll charges, they charged us an administrative fee of $50.00 on top of that. We had to fight them to get it reduced. Ridiculous.