User Tag List

Thread: Internet Rant

Internet Rant

I know it's my choice to live in the country, but this is ridiculous. My only choice is satellite internet, even though across the street from my property is a Comcast box, but it doesn't have a port in it and everytime I call them out, the technician says he will turn it into maintenance - then nothing. This is what I'm dealing with tonight.

This is just pitiful. DISH first tried to tell me it was the router, that they sold me less than a year ago, then maybe the modem. After trying unplugging things, plugging the router straight into my laptop the below is the final result. Now a technician will have to come out and check it and of course that won't be until Wednesday morning. Since, I'm such a good long term customer and pay the insurance they are going to waive the $95 service call.
    ← Re-Test
    Download :: 312 Kbps 39 kB/s
    My Speed :: 312 Kbps
    97% slower than my host average 9.2 Mbps
    99% slower than the US average 22.6 Mbps
    99% slower than Index Speed 24.9 Mbps
    You might have a problem...
    Your connection scored only 3% of the Hughes Network Systems average (97% slower).

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    I know it's my choice to live in the country, but this is ridiculous. My only choice is satellite internet, even though across the street from my property is a Comcast box, but it doesn't have a port in it and everytime I call them out, the technician says he will turn it into maintenance - then nothing. This is what I'm dealing with tonight.

This is just pitiful. DISH first tried to tell me it was the router, that they sold me less than a year ago, then maybe the modem. After trying unplugging things, plugging the router straight into my laptop the below is the final result. Now a technician will have to come out and check it and of course that won't be until Wednesday morning. Since, I'm such a good long term customer and pay the insurance they are going to waive the $95 service call.
    ← Re-Test
    Download :: 312 Kbps 39 kB/s
    My Speed :: 312 Kbps
    97% slower than my host average 9.2 Mbps
    99% slower than the US average 22.6 Mbps
    99% slower than Index Speed 24.9 Mbps
    You might have a problem...
    Your connection scored only 3% of the Hughes Network Systems average (97% slower).
    OMG 312 Kbps?! You remember back in the days of dial up when we had 56k modems, you are about 4 times faster. That's crazy they don't even offer DSL? Even in my Podunk country land we had that in the early 2000's. I've since upgraded to cable which delivers 120MB/s.

I hope they can figure out what's going on, that's sadly slow!
    Karma Is Like 69 : You Get What You Give
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm going to end up wasting a vacation day dealing with this and I'm pretty sure they won't do anything to make it better. This is what I have this morning.

Download :: 5.8 Mbps 730 kB/s

Xfinity (Comcast) will be getting another call from me later this month to come out and tell give me excuses again too. Maybe if I keep calling them out, they will get tired and run the service up the driveway to my house and I can get rid of DISH.

Blog Entries
    Hell run the cable for them.

I ran and terminated all the coax cables for my satellite dish in my last two houses.
    #######
    Fair dinkum legend

Blog Entries
    Those are some pretty slow speeds Darlene . the only advice i can offer is try AT&T seems like they had several different products that would solve your speed issues . we would be with them now hadn't the cable company offered us a comparable package that now costs us more btw .hhh oh well 20/20 hide site . AT&T just ran new fiber optic lines through our back yard . maybe they will send us a deal and we will switch back to them.

Wow, that would be very frustrating Darlene! We live in an outer-ring suburb and don't have very many choices either.

Was the speed the same when you were plugged into the router vs. when you were plugged into the modem? Does you phone provider offer DSL access? The fastest internet service for us from Frontiernet (phone company). We don't have a land line but they provide a 15 Mb connection (fastest available in our area). Otherwise, what about wireless broadband? It would probably be more expensive but you would have a more consistently stable connection.

You have my deepest sympathies! We were stuck with Hughes as our only option for internet for almost a year. I forget the speed numbers, which weren't good to begin with, but they forgot to mention that the best speed was only when there was just one device online. If we both got on our computers, it dropped almost in half. Plus, it was a satellite so Darrell had to climb on the roof and scrape snow off it and we'd lose the signal in bad weather. We all would've hugged the cable guy when he came through the neighborhood to let us know it was now available!

unfortunately persistence tasking Comcast may be your only salvation. Just got to keep contacting them to perform.

Blog Entries
    Keep on calling them, have them come over to your house and make them fix it. My mom calls them persistently if the internet is slow. She don't play. lol

Well according to the tech he couldn't find anything wrong. My speed this morning is 23.2 Mbps. I'll just have to keep calling every time it slows down until they quit throttling me.