User Tag List

Page 36 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb eating doesn't suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary9915 View Post
    We need recipe details @Nhcris!

On the positive side, DH had a doctor's appointment yesterday...first one since our new way of eating. 40 pounds down, cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure were all on the high end of normal last time and all on the low end of normal now. This way of eating WORKS!
    Wonderful news! It's so great when the tests prove what our bodies are feeling

Here's a link to the recipe I used. https://lowcarbyum.com/cheesy-caulif...ham-casserole/ I would tweak a couple things next time. I would use more heavy cream and less almond milk, and I would add some dijon or something for some zing. I also used fresh cauliflower, but would definitely use frozen next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhcris View Post
    Wonderful news! It's so great when the tests prove what our bodies are feeling

Here's a link to the recipe I used. https://lowcarbyum.com/cheesy-caulif...ham-casserole/ I would tweak a couple things next time. I would use more heavy cream and less almond milk, and I would add some dijon or something for some zing. I also used fresh cauliflower, but would definitely use frozen next time.
    Thanks!

Good idea to add Dijon mustard. Did you feel the almond milk made it too runny? We never have almond milk on hand so I think I'll use a combo of whipping cream with either sour cream or Greek yogurt.

Thanks!

Good idea to add Dijon mustard. Did you feel the almond milk made it too runny? We never have almond milk on hand so I think I'll use a combo of whipping cream with either sour cream or Greek yogurt.
    I would have liked it to thicken just a bit more, and I am blaming the almond milk, although I may not have drained the cauliflower as well as I could have I just keep on winging it with all of these recipes. Some are hits, but plenty are misses!

That sounds DELICIOUS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhcris View Post
    That looks and sounds so good and it's so nutritious! I am really getting into soup this winter.
    I was pleasantly surprised on how good it turned out and it was very easy to make. I'm going to be eating it the rest of the week.

Thanks for all of the recipes and food you have been posting. It gave me the idea to try this.

And I'm so happy to hear about the good doctor reports - very inspirational!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cauliflower fried rice. Delicious!

I just threw it together from stuff in the fridge, so no real recipe. I started with a couple strips of bacon chopped up just to get some nice Keto bacon fat. Added celery, red bell pepper, & scallions & some seasonings - garlic power, onion powder, Bell's seasoning & black pepper. After those were a bit softened, I added chopped up chicken & stirred it around for a bit. Then a cup of chicken broth and a thawed bag of cauliflower rice. I bumped up the spices then and added some salt while the broth boiled off. At the end I threw in one egg. It was really, really good and filling! You could throw most anything in it and it would be yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyDee View Post
    Cauliflower fried rice. Delicious!

I just threw it together from stuff in the fridge, so no real recipe. I started with a couple strips of bacon chopped up just to get some nice Keto bacon fat. Added celery, red bell pepper, & scallions & some seasonings - garlic power, onion powder, Bell's seasoning & black pepper. After those were a bit softened, I added chopped up chicken & stirred it around for a bit. Then a cup of chicken broth and a thawed bag of cauliflower rice. I bumped up the spices then and added some salt while the broth boiled off. At the end I threw in one egg. It was really, really good and filling! You could throw most anything in it and it would be yummy!
    This sounds so yum! I’m going to try it for sure

We need recipe details @Nhcris!

On the positive side, DH had a doctor's appointment yesterday...first one since our new way of eating. 40 pounds down, cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure were all on the high end of normal last time and all on the low end of normal now. This way of eating WORKS!
    That is fantastic news!

Blog Entries
    OMG I thought it would be a healthy vegetable since it isn't a root vegetable! I had a yellow pepper in my fridge that needed to be eaten Not wanting anything involving bread I decided I would clean it and eat it. I love peppers. Who knew that a yellow pepper has 12 grams of carbs! At least I get to deduct 1.7 grams as dietary fiber.

At least I can drink my black coffee without worry.

Nutrition Facts
    Peppers, yellow
    Amount Per 1 pepper, large (3-3/4" long, 3" dia) (186 g)
    Calories 50
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 4 mg 0%
    Potassium 394 mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4%
    Dietary fiber 1.7 g 6%
    Protein 1.9 g 3%
    Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 568%
    Calcium 2% Iron 4%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 15%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5%
    Last edited by Curlyd; 01-22-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyd View Post
    OMG I thought it would be a healthy vegetable since it isn't a root vegetable! I had a yellow pepper in my fridge that needed to be eaten Not wanting anything involving bread I decided I would clean it and eat it. I love peppers. Who knew that a yellow pepper has 12 grams of carbs! At least I get to deduct 1.7 grams as dietary fiber.

It's still healthy, just a little heavier on carbs than it seems it should be, but way, way less than bread! I use this website as a good reference when I have a question about vegetables. And sometimes, it is worth taking the hit for the carbs, as there is so much nutrition in most vegetables.

https://nutrienthero.com/blog/ketogenic-vegetables/

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyd View Post

Nutrition Facts
    Peppers, yellow
    Amount Per 1 pepper, large (3-3/4" long, 3" dia) (186 g)
    Calories 50
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 4 mg 0%
    Potassium 394 mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4%
    Dietary fiber 1.7 g 6%
    Protein 1.9 g 3%
    Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 568%
    Calcium 2% Iron 4%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 15%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5%
    I was surprised by how many carbs peppers have too but I use a little for flavor when I cook.