User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax time

Tax time

So I finally got a handpay last year in Louisiana and now I have to figure this out.

Do y’all file a return in the state you won in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a handpay in Louisiana too and have to file a state return for Louisiana. I had to do this one time before and recall that it wasn't easy but I did get a portion back of what they withheld.

I just blew it off from wins in New Orleans.yes you would have to file to get it back
    Coushatta didn’t withhold any when I won there

Didn't bother with the Ms handpay I had

Quote Originally Posted by KimKyle View Post
    So I finally got a handpay last year in Louisiana and now I have to figure this out.

Do y’all file a return in the state you won in?

Kim--you will need to file as a non- resident in LA. You'll get about half of the withholding back. Their forms are tedious and their processing even more so. Good luck.

Tax time

Ok someone at work told me the same that yes it’s required. So when you don’t file one you are just taking a chance or the states don’t care because they get to keep all your money?

@FL Mary and @4208 what is so bad about their forms? Do they ask for more documentation or what?

Quote Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
    Didn't bother with the Ms handpay I had
    It is non-refundable in MS.

Quote Originally Posted by KimKyle View Post
    @FL Mary and @4208 what is so bad about their forms? Do they ask for more documentation or what?

No more documentation. Just long. I remember like 4 pages worth. I found them tedious unless you're a dairy farmer. LA gives them a ton of breaks. I filed in February and received my refund in JULY after filing twice and calling them multiple times. Apparently non-resident forms are put in separate files to be processed last. I have no idea what the law says about not filing.

What about a situation where the state DIDN'T withhold state taxes? I had a HP in NJ and another one in NY in 2017. I'm sure I told them to take taxes from the NJ one but they only withheld federal. Never told them to withhold the taxes at all for the NY one. I'm assuming since neither state got their share of my winnings I'll need to file non resident returns in both states? This may be one year I might look into having a tax accountant do my taxes. Not worth the aggravation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk