PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines

michelelovesvegas
12-14-2015, 12:17 AM
Anyone use American? Zeus - being you are in/near Charlotte? I am a Delta brat but their 1st class prices are getting terrible to go to Vegas. DH won't fly coach, not a little man. (at least not for a west coast trip) Looks like fewer trips with DH and more solos!!:highly_amused:

zeus
12-14-2015, 12:43 AM
Yes, we fly mainly American because they handle 90% of the flights out of Charlotte. And they are the only airline that we can fly direct to Vegas. We usually fly 1st Class to Vegas with it being a 4- 4 1/2 hour flight. It just makes for a more comfortable, relaxing flight versus being crammed in the back of the plane. The food is good and they really keep up with me on the cock service even to the point that in May I do not remember getting off the plane or taking the tram over to the main terminal. :drunk: HHH!

sassycat
12-14-2015, 12:51 AM
We usually have great service in first class on American too!! The last time we flew into Reno - they gave us a bottle of wine to take with us. Of course - James was really flirting with the flight attendant.

michelelovesvegas
12-14-2015, 02:16 AM
Okay then, maybe I will change airlines. Savings of around $800.00 for 2. That's adds to BR!

hytail
12-14-2015, 05:54 AM
I do mainly AA as I am just shy of 1 million miles. Trying to trip that mileage number for the perks. Thought I would finish that up in 2015, but the AA fares were over the top pricey. For example AA to Hawaii in 1st was rubbing up against $2000 (and the seats were not even lie flat! Oh well life is tough) - but Alaska Airlines and Hawaii Air in 1st were only about $1000 and I can still get AA miles. Alaska has the best drink service of the three, while Hawaii Air has the best seats and food.

Even to LV domestically, I am finding Alaska and Hawaii Air fares about 60% of what AA wants. Only downside is I can't roll the dice on getting free upgrades like I can with American (but the cost of 1st is just about what AA wants for economy so I can just buy in) - also, on the upside I have access to all the Alaska and Hawaii airport lounges. With AA I typically will have a connection, while Alaska and Hawaii have a ton of direct flights - guess I am tired of connecting through DFW and ORD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

michelelovesvegas
12-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I do mainly AA as I am just shy of 1 million miles. Trying to trip that mileage number for the perks. Thought I would finish that up in 2015, but the AA fares were over the top pricey. For example AA to Hawaii in 1st was rubbing up against $2000 (and the seats were not even lie flat! Oh well life is tough) - but Alaska Airlines and Hawaii Air in 1st were only about $1000 and I can still get AA miles. Alaska has the best drink service of the three, while Hawaii Air has the best seats and food.

Even to LV domestically, I am finding Alaska and Hawaii Air fares about 60% of what AA wants. Only downside is I can't roll the dice on getting free upgrades like I can with American (but the cost of 1st is just about what AA wants for economy so I can just buy in) - also, on the upside I have access to all the Alaska and Hawaii airport lounges. With AA I typically will have a connection, while Alaska and Hawaii have a ton of direct flights - guess I am tired of connecting through DFW and ORD.

I totally understand going for the Million. I am so surprised at how upset I am changing airlines. Just booked 1st to Vegas for $1064.00 where Delta was a little over $2000.00. We also get home at 9:00 pm vs. mid-night. AND leaving at 9:00am vs. 5:30am (would have to get up at 3:30 which makes for a long day/night in Vegas. I have been with Delta since the 90's but it made sense to do so.

Also my trip to Biloxi, I booked at the Beau instead of the GN like usually do. My host has not gotten back to me in 5 days. All the other GN properties I go to, they always respond right away. So, this may be my year of change!

hytail
12-16-2015, 04:02 AM
michelelovesvegas the AA merger with US Airways really seemed to cause fares to rise. Regardless of whether that is correct. I just seemed to have to pay a good deal more on the same routes. Or the need to route through connecting cities instead of direct flights and still pay more.

zeus
12-16-2015, 10:39 AM
hytail, for us in Charlotte it has lowered the price of flights to Vegas by about $50 when flying coach, but did increase in 1st class by $50-100. So some folks have gained from it while others have not.

tee2green
12-16-2015, 10:57 AM
hytail, for us in Charlotte it has lowered the price of flights to Vegas by about $50 when flying coach, but did increase in 1st class by $50-100. So some folks have gained from it while others have not.

I miss the old US Air days when Pittsburgh was a hub[emoji17]

CPT
12-16-2015, 12:30 PM
I miss the old US Air days when Pittsburgh was a hub[emoji17]

Me too! Our local, Williamsport/Montoursville, airport would have flights to both PIT and PHL. Now only PHL. I do recall the long runway at Pittsburgh, we thought we were driving back home!

tee2green
12-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I prefer long runways to the alternative, HHH.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk