PDA

View Full Version : Don't get burned-rental cars and toll roads

treyster
06-20-2016, 11:39 AM
After our trip to Denver a few weeks ago, I noticed a charge of $12 from Alamo. I figured they were just catching up something on the amount I paid. But I looked at it closer and noticed is was a toll road charge.

I took a short segment of a toll road but never saw a booth, never thought about it again. Turns out they have license plate readers and bill the rental company who in turn marks up with a fee then charges the customer. I found, and was somewhat horrified, by the following article explaining the racket. I don't run across toll roads where I live so this is new to me.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-to-avoid-excess-toll-road-charges-for-rental-cars/

dvandentop
06-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info can deffinately add up if not aware it sounds like

treyster
06-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info can deffinately add up if not aware it sounds like

How about Fox rent a car? Trying to charge customers a $50 fee PER TOLL.

dvandentop
06-21-2016, 03:28 PM
How about Fox rent a car? Trying to charge customers a $50 fee PER TOLL.
I tried to do the cancel and book cheaper type rental but budget did not allow that it was going to try to charge me a $50 cancellation fee

zeus
06-21-2016, 03:44 PM
I tried to do the cancel and book cheaper type rental but budget did not allow that it was going to try to charge me a $50 cancellation fee
I have amended my Thrifty reservation for AC six times now. Price has gone from $196 to $121. Now I wonder if they will try to screw me with AC Expressway tolls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dvandentop
06-21-2016, 03:57 PM
I have amended my Thrifty reservation for AC six times now. Price has gone from $196 to $121. Now I wonder if they will try to screw me with AC Expressway tolls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I have the budget fast pass or easy check in so I didn't see anywhere to try to get the different rate it was $15 difference is also not a huge deal but wasn't worth paying $50 to cancel

Suze1000
06-22-2016, 02:21 PM
This happened to us in Florida. In addition to the toll charges, they charged us an administrative fee of $50.00 on top of that. We had to fight them to get it reduced. Ridiculous.