PDA

View Full Version : Near Win feels as good as an Actual Win? Really?

hytail
08-10-2016, 05:25 PM
This is based on a study trying to answer the question -

"is the excitement of getting close to a win driven by the same mechanism that drives our excitement when we actually win?"

Came across this episode in The Hidden Brain that airs on NPR.

When I look at close/near jackpots on different social websites (one away from a royal flush is a good example) the drive to get the big win after coming very close is often heard in the expressions/voices of the players in videos.

Thought you all might find this interesting to listen to (click the blue link on the left) ... http://www.npr.org/2015/09/29/444398776/the-thrill-of-near-victory

Evoni
08-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Hmmm, either I'm a odd exception or their study is very flawed. When I keep getting teased with near wins instead of the actual big win, I get annoyed and move on to a new game.

TwoArmedBandito
08-10-2016, 11:43 PM
Hmmm, either I'm a odd exception or their study is very flawed. When I keep getting teased with near wins instead of the actual big win, I get annoyed and move on to a new game.
Yup. Can only take getting 2 bonus symbols for so long before I say screw it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

clemi
08-10-2016, 11:50 PM
When playing VP I do get excited when I get 4 to the Royal, don't know why. Slot games not so much since it's so common to get spins that are one away from a big win.

hytail
08-11-2016, 12:49 AM

Exactly Evoni. And the more money/time I feel I have wasted without getting the prize, the higher my annoyance level. At some point I just avoid playing that particular type of machine.

Typically, The Hidden Brain is a good and very entertaining radio show/podcast. But I would question this episode's reliance in this study grounded in the seemingly irrelevant habits of pigeons - but who can say...