PDA

View Full Version : A Place for Our Quest to Good Health!

Nhcris
12-05-2017, 11:41 PM
Our amazing boss has graciously provided us with a new forum category where we can post anything related to our quest for good health! Please chime in with conversations about diets, exercise, recipes and anything else that fits in here. I'll bring over the Low Carb thread for starters, but please, jump right in!

THANKS CPT! WE LOVE YOU!!

MNvegasgal
12-06-2017, 02:55 AM
This is a great addition. I have some good recipes I will post when I get back from Biloxi!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dvandentop
12-06-2017, 04:52 AM
Wohoo get the party going

Curlyd
12-06-2017, 02:04 PM
So years ago before the "internet" Bill and I loved to roam the book stores. We started to go to all the $2 and $3 sale tables, especially in the cookbook section. I have over 40 books that I might use now and then. The idea was to help us plan and cook interesting meals, hopefully easily as we both worked full time. Anyway this morning I passed by my bookshelf (on my way to make my coffee ) and took a look at the books I have ignored for some time. And to my surprise I found these 3 books! Now to start reading and planning our menus. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/37f786ccad5402a98317810aba664d55.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Curlyd
12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Ok let's try this again, I already have 3 books to help Bill and I get started. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/d7ceca24c5dc1b133df5989219bf5519.jpg

Nhcris
12-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Ok let's try this again, I already have 3 books to help us get started. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/d7ceca24c5dc1b133df5989219bf5519.jpg

Those look excellent! I also have a bunch of cookbooks, but none of them are low carb, unfortunately. Sometimes it's just nice to sit and thumb through an actual book, so those should come in very handy for you!

goldengreeke
12-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Great idea Chris!

I can't join in until until after Christmas because Sharon's been doing her holiday baking, which includes peanut butter chocolate fudge and a bunch of sugar cookies coated with thick butter cream frosting.

Curlyd
12-06-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm not fully participating till after the Holidays either. I am, and have been, cutting back on my sugars and other carbs for a while and will be careful these next 4 weeks. Starting the new year better informed and ready to lose!

Nhcris
12-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Come and go from here as you wish! No rules :D But how nice would it be if all got just a little bit healthier in 2018?

Mary9915
12-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Yay, it's here! This will be one forum that I will be following daily. Here is a link that got me started in low carb / keto eating.

It does have a subscription, but you can get a lot of information without paying for a subscription. You can also sign up for a weekly email newsletter which is free.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

foamy
12-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Yay, it's here! This will be one forum that I will be following daily. Here is a link that got me started in low carb / keto eating.

It does have a subscription, but you can get a lot of information without paying for a subscription. You can also sign up for a weekly email newsletter which is free.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

It say's no beer. hhh I never drink at home but someone else does. hhh

clemi
12-09-2017, 12:32 AM
I don’t cook much but, had to chime in on a wonderful restaurant I visited, True Food Kitchen.

This restaurant is owned by Dr Weil, and his food is based on his anti-inflammation diet. Not sure what that is but the food was delicious.

https://www.truefoodkitchen.com/

What made me post this was the Charred Cauliflower appetizer, which was wonderful! I’ve posted a copy cat recipe so you can see what’s in it and if inspired try to make it.

http://www.hermodernkitchen.com/roasted-mediterranean-cauliflower/

Nhcris
12-09-2017, 09:08 PM
I don’t cook much but, had to chime in on a wonderful restaurant I visited, True Food Kitchen.

This restaurant is owned by Dr Weil, and his food is based on his anti-inflammation diet. Not sure what that is but the food was delicious.

https://www.truefoodkitchen.com/

What made me post this was the Charred Cauliflower appetizer, which was wonderful! I’ve posted a copy cat recipe so you can see what’s in it and if inspired try to make it.

http://www.hermodernkitchen.com/roasted-mediterranean-cauliflower/

Thanks clemi, I checked out the menu, and there is some yummy sounding healthy food on there for sure! We must visit it when i come out to the Bay area!

Luckylinda123
12-09-2017, 10:28 PM
We have been to true food in Phoenix and another one In Scottsdale. Food was good just different.

clemi
12-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Thanks clemi, I checked out the menu, and there is some yummy sounding healthy food on there for sure! We must visit it when i come out to the Bay area!

We have been to true food in Phoenix and another one In Scottsdale. Food was good just different.

Yes the food is definitely different. I was hesitant on this place. But that cauliflower appetizer deserves much love imo. I’ll go back just for that.

BorgataBabe
12-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I need to start taking better care of my health and not just eating better. I need to schedule some doctors visits for a few things that have been bothering for awhile now. Getting older sucks and I am starting to feel it.

I have been feeling some pressure in my left chest area sporadically for a few months now. I have also always been the type to say I'm always cold but lately it's just ridiculous. I'm not 90 and don't weigh 100 pounds, I'm a truly always freezing when everyone around says it is comfortable.

So I think it is time I start to schedule some doctor's visits in this new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hytail
12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
clemi what is "tahini"? I have been to Hawaii many times and thought that was some form of drink. Guess if I drank more I wouldn't have this confusion!

Ingredients

1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
⅓ cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, pressed and separated
juice of half a lemon
1-2 tablespoon harissa, depending on spice preference
4 tablespoons vegetable broth, plus 2-3 tablespoons as needed
½ teaspoon salt
3 dates, diced
2 tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons dill
¼ cup toasted pistachios

michelelovesvegas
12-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Tahini is a sesame seed paste. Really good in dressings.

michelelovesvegas
12-10-2017, 06:01 PM
I need to start taking better care of my health and not just eating better. I need to schedule some doctors visits for a few things that have been bothering for awhile now. Getting older sucks and I am starting to feel it.

I have been feeling some pressure in my left chest area sporadically for a few months now. I have also always been the type to say I'm always cold but lately it's just ridiculous. I'm not 90 and don't weigh 100 pounds, I'm a truly always freezing when everyone around says it is comfortable.

So I think it is time I start to schedule some doctor's visits in this new year.

I am in the same boat. Really need to get a check up. Haven't been to a doctor in 11 years! I know my blood pressure will read high just being in the room.

clemi
12-10-2017, 06:02 PM
clemi what is "tahini"? I have been to Hawaii many times and thought that was some form of drink. Guess if I drank more I wouldn't have this confusion!

Ingredients

1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
⅓ cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, pressed and separated
juice of half a lemon
1-2 tablespoon harissa, depending on spice preference
4 tablespoons vegetable broth, plus 2-3 tablespoons as needed
½ teaspoon salt
3 dates, diced
2 tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons dill
¼ cup toasted pistachios

Haha! Like Michele said, it’s made from sesame seeds.

Curlyd
12-10-2017, 06:06 PM

I started getting all of the test done (as per my GP's request) about 5 or 6 years ago. Once I found out all was good (except weight) I no longer worry about going. However I took longer to get back to my dentist. So this past year I was a good patient and got a number of dental items fixed with appts. already made for next year. BUT low and behold what do I get in the mail yesterday but my dentist is leaving (I think retiring). I don't really like the partner she had but I guess for now I will have to go to him. Why do they do that to us!!!!! They are supposed to stay young and work forever while we get old. sigh!

Luckylinda123
12-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Tahini is a sesame seed paste. Really good in dressings.

Also makes hummus usually in addition to chickpeas

Joangca
12-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Come and go from here as you wish! No rules :D But how nice would it be if all got just a little bit healthier in 2018?

I'll drink to that! This will be a fun thread.

BorgataBabe
12-10-2017, 09:52 PM
I am in the same boat. Really need to get a check up. Haven't been to a doctor in 11 years! I know my blood pressure will read high just being in the room.

Looks like we both need to a doctor, I go to the OB/GYN almost annually and the dentist 2x a year but haven't had a visit with my family doctor in forever!

Mauretania
12-27-2017, 11:32 PM
I like Soom Premium Tahini which I use for making hummus.