PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot

Nhcris
12-06-2017, 12:33 AM
So, I watched GMA this morning for the segment on the Instant Pot and it was a big bust, IMO. A young mother told how she lost 100 pounds cooking with the Instant Pot. A medical professional said that the IP is not magic - HHH but can help prepare healthy meals. Honestly, that's about all I got out of it.

But, I think I am going to enjoy mine. Now that I have gotten past the fear factor, I expect I will use it pretty regularly and it most definitely can help prepare healthy food. It can also sure as hell prepare rich fatty carbs if that's your pleasure :)

Tonight I cooked pork chops with mushrooms, and it really was faster although the time coming up to temp has to be considered. I loved browning the chops in the pot, and then sautéing the onions and mushrooms, and finally adding the liquid & the pork chops back in to be pressure cooked for about 10 minutes! It really is kind of amazing!

I know we have some IP Lovers, so give us some advice please Gypsy, Jen Jen anyone else with an IP

Suze1000
12-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Nhcris I just bought an 8 quart. Gina helped me a lot with my selection of it. There is a great Facebook site called Instant Pot for Beginners.

So far, I just love mine.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Gypsy
12-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Brittany, who was featured on GMA has a blog, website and Facebook page with a lot of healthy low carb recipes, she's really nice, and answers everyone's questions. It's InstantLoss.com Healthy Recipes for Weightloss, I follow her on FB.

Gypsy
12-06-2017, 05:27 AM
You can speed up the time it takes your Pot to pressure by leaving it on sauté, or putting it on sauté after you add your liquid. Let it come to a boil and then hit cancel and set your pressure time. Much quicker!!

Jen Jen
12-06-2017, 06:41 AM
I'm learning just like you about this new IP hype. So far I have made spaghetti, hard boiled eggs, and a pork loin with veggies. Everything was good, but I made the mistake of not breaking the spaghetti noodles in thirds and pouring the water over it. A few noodles got stuck together.

treyster
12-06-2017, 12:07 PM
On Amazon there's several IP, which one do you get? Thinking Christmas gift

Gypsy
12-06-2017, 12:43 PM
I like the Duo Plus 9 in 1https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/935b143ed1b2b52ce37348c772c29f43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nhcris
12-06-2017, 01:56 PM
I like the Duo Plus 9 in 1https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/935b143ed1b2b52ce37348c772c29f43.jpg

That's the one I got. I have the 6 quart and that definitely will be large enough for my needs. See all those freaking buttons? That's part of the reason i was intimidated! That and those years of my mother ensuring us that the cover would blow off her pressure cooker and decapitate us if we dared go in the kitchen when it was on #stillneedtherapy

Nhcris
12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Brittany, who was featured on GMA has a blog, website and Facebook page with a lot of healthy low carb recipes, she's really nice, and answers everyone's questions. It's InstantLoss.com Healthy Recipes for Weightloss, I follow her on FB.

She seemed really nice and I would have loved to see her get to explain more on the segment, but they really didn't do her justice. I'll check out her site. Thanks!

Mary9915
12-06-2017, 07:07 PM
You can speed up the time it takes your Pot to pressure by leaving it on sauté, or putting it on sauté after you add your liquid. Let it come to a boil and then hit cancel and set your pressure time. Much quicker!!

That is a GREAT TIP! I get so impatient waiting it to come up to pressure...thanks!

Curlyd
12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
That's the one I got. I have the 6 quart and that definitely will be large enough for my needs. See all those freaking buttons? That's part of the reason i was intimidated! That and those years of my mother ensuring us that the cover would blow off her pressure cooker and decapitate us if we dared go in the kitchen when it was on #stillneedtherapySo funny about the pot blowing. My Mom never worried about that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mauretania
12-08-2017, 05:23 AM
I bought the the new mini Instant Pot for my sister-in-law for her Christmas present "toy" hhh!

Nhcris
12-08-2017, 09:11 PM
I bought the the new mini Instant Pot for my sister-in-law for her Christmas present "toy" hhh!

I didn't know they made a mini one. That sounds like a nice gift! Gonna check it out and see if it's simple enough for my Mom.

DK528
12-08-2017, 09:53 PM
So funny about the pot blowing. My Mom never worried about that.

I definitely got that admonition too Nhcris. My parents and grandma used the pressure cooker often, usually to make cauliflower!

chrissyDee
12-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Back home & back to cooking. Chicken soup with daikon noodles in the Instant Pot.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/3300a8f9ebfd160a7068efa1cc063fb6.jpg

Suze1000
12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
I am going to make this tomorrow! We have lots of snow, and this will be just perfect after a cross country skiing adventure.
http://heidistjohn.com/blog/recipes/fast-healthy-yummy-15-bean-soup

Curlyd
12-15-2017, 02:37 PM
I am going to make this tomorrow! We have lots of snow, and this will be just perfect after a cross country skiing adventure.
https://www.apinchofhealthy.com/ham-15-bean-soup-slow-cooker-instant-pot/

Yummm, that is one of the soup recipes I make and freeze - although mine is a 16 bean soup. Enjoy!

Suze1000
12-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Yummm, that is one of the soup recipes I make and freeze - although mine is a 16 bean soup. Enjoy!
Curlyd Do you make it in the Instant Pot? Does the recipe look right to you?

Curlyd
12-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Curlyd Do you make it in the Instant Pot? Does the recipe look right to you?

I do have an old fashion pressure cooker and a new fashion slow cooker. Sometimes I use the slow cooker (Cuisinart that browns and simmers too) to make some of my soups but I also just use my old fashion soup pot. The recipe is just about like mine and looks yummy. Sometimes I use vegetable stock instead of chicken and I try to skim off some of the grease on top at the end. But it looks delicious and I am sure it will taste good too! One not though, I am not sure 55 min would be enough in a slow cooker setting but maybe that is part of the Instant Pot process.

OK just re-read the recipe - the 55 min is for the insta-pot version - that should be OK, enjoy!

Curlyd
12-15-2017, 03:00 PM
I love my pressure cooker and have used one all my life (Mom taught me). But the more I see of the Instant Pot I might just invest in one to give it a try. It requires less watching than my pressure cooker.

I like simple things. For instance 43 years ago my in-laws gave Bill and I a rice cooker for an anniversary gift. At that time they had to go to China Town here in Chicago to find one. I was terrible at cooking rice (cause we never ate it growing up). Anyway I have loved that thing all these years because I can load it and go and it always comes out perfect!

Of course I have been cutting way back on using it as I try to reduce my carbs so it is getting a little dusty. My point is I think I would like the Instant Pot for it's simplicity.

Curlyd
12-15-2017, 10:32 PM
See my pressure cooker making a small pork roast with vege's. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/bcb94b1b6c1e4edf5b936dc4dee7dbbd.jpg

Nhcris
12-15-2017, 11:48 PM
See my pressure cooker making a small pork roast with vege's. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/bcb94b1b6c1e4edf5b936dc4dee7dbbd.jpg

That looks just like the one my Mom would terrify us with! Please get an Instant Pot so your Pressure Cooker doesn't murder you!

owls
12-16-2017, 07:05 PM
That's what my Mom said too, Chris! It'll blow your arm off.

foamy
12-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Here's my pressure cooker and if it blows up we're in troublehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/34f84d96788c89c128fcdcfd99753261.jpg

sondor
12-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Here's my pressure cooker and if it blows up we're in troubl

That is quite the Apparatus....

LowAndSlow
12-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Okay, I have to get a couple things off my chest. LOL First of all, am I the only one who was thinking this thread was about "instant weed?" Oy! NHMajik has been posting her cheesecakes made in the Instant Pot on FB, so now I get what we're talking about. We ARE talking about a cooking utensil, right??? :)) Those cheesecakes look amazing, BTW. Next thing is, I have an old fashioned pressure cooker. It is only used to make turnips (well, actually, it's rutabagas, but my Mom always called them turnips). It still scares the bejeezus out of me when I use it, but I can't make turnips any other way and get them to come out the way Mom did. Uggghhhh .... My Mom apparently wasn't afraid of anything so used her pressure cooker all the time, but my MIL had a chicken soup incident with hers when she was first married and there was chicken soup all over the ceiling of her nice newlywed apartment, so she was afraid of hers. :) Finally, I started doing some chores today, went to clear out the hall closet when what do I see? A brand new Instant Pot!!!! It was kind of hidden behind and under some stuff so not sure if it is a Christmas gift or just a coincidence (son is building a tiny house and collecting appliances that will do multiple things). In any case, we should be trying this thing out in the near future.

foamy
12-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Coming off 170https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/095766502d0ac1607e2d3cc4d873d6ad.jpg

sondor
12-17-2017, 01:28 AM
Coming off 170

What is the Battery for?

foamy
12-17-2017, 01:43 AM
What is the Battery for?

I use a bilge pump for water so I don't just hook it to a hose and let it run fill a barrel and recycle

Curlyd
12-17-2017, 03:24 AM
That looks just like the one my Mom would terrify us with! Please get an Instant Pot so your Pressure Cooker doesn't murder you!

I'm almost 65 and have used a pressure cooker since I was probably 13. This actually my 3rd pressure cooker. The secret is to not overload it and to make sure that the hole at the top (under the regulator) is not clogged. But I am considering an Instant Pot.

michelelovesvegas
12-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Coming off 170https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/095766502d0ac1607e2d3cc4d873d6ad.jpg

That is freaking awesome!

clemi
12-18-2017, 02:55 AM
More Instant Pot Love...
Hell I might now want one but it would likely just sit on my counter since I rarely cook. Still it’s such an amazing story!
Inside the Home of Instant Pot, the Kitchen Gadget That Spawned a Religion - The New York Timeshttps://apple.news/AOHL2U6HqTZSJVRK2g_jnbQ

Gypsy
12-18-2017, 03:41 AM
Here's my pressure cooker and if it blows up we're in troublehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/34f84d96788c89c128fcdcfd99753261.jpg

I saw an InstantPot recipe for moonshine today!

foamy
12-18-2017, 12:47 PM
I saw an InstantPot recipe for moonshine today!

Damn these instant pots must do everything

CPT
12-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Pre-Christmas Instant Pot Target Deal: http://hip2save.com/2017/12/18/instant-pot-duo-3-quart-pressure-cooker-and-20-target-gift-card-only-69-99-shipped/

LowAndSlow
12-18-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't know about other mail carriers, but my son says he is constantly delivering these things (he's a sub, but is working every day now, mostly packages, through Christmas). Also, I read the article Clemi posted and it's amazing. Now, to find the one that can make moonshine ....

hytail
12-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Pre-Christmas Instant Pot Target Deal: http://hip2save.com/2017/12/18/instant-pot-duo-3-quart-pressure-cooker-and-20-target-gift-card-only-69-99-shipped/

That looks like a really good price. And I know not much about cooking, but it would seem a 3 quart capacity may be a bit small.

On the old fashion style pressure cooker, my dad years ago was using one when the small safety valve blew out. I was downstairs and heard something. Then my dad screaming at me to help clean up the kitchen before my mother came home. There was (whatever he was cooking) food blown all over the place. Took several days and a paint job to remedy. But I do remember many wonderful bowls of chicken and rice soup over my youth coming from that utensil.

Nhcris
12-18-2017, 07:05 PM
More Instant Pot Love...
Hell I might now want one but it would likely just sit on my counter since I rarely cook. Still it’s such an amazing story!
Inside the Home of Instant Pot, the Kitchen Gadget That Spawned a Religion - The New York Timeshttps://apple.news/AOHL2U6HqTZSJVRK2g_jnbQ

What a great story! Makes me like my IP even more :tongue-new:

Suze1000
12-18-2017, 07:28 PM
I'm almost 65 and have used a pressure cooker since I was probably 13. This actually my 3rd pressure cooker. The secret is to not overload it and to make sure that the hole at the top (under the regulator) is not clogged. But I am considering an Instant Pot.

I had one blow-up once. Not fun. Red sauce all over my white ceiling.

This one is much safer.

Suze1000
12-18-2017, 07:29 PM
FYI....I am loving this damned thing more each day. My 15 Bean Soup was soooooo good.

Gypsy
12-18-2017, 09:20 PM
I made egg bites for breakfast and potato cheese soup for lunch, I hope I don’t eat my way through my winter break!

Nhcris
12-18-2017, 11:44 PM
I made egg bites for breakfast and potato cheese soup for lunch, I hope I don’t eat my way through my winter break!

Gina, could I see your basic egg bites recipe, please? I got the silicone egg thingy, but I'm not sure of volume. I didn't make my weekly frittata, and Frank is missing it so egg bites it will be!

Gypsy
12-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Gina, could I see your basic egg bites recipe, please? I got the silicone egg thingy, but I'm not sure of volume. I didn't make my weekly frittata, and Frank is missing it so egg bites it will be!

i double the recipe and make 2 batches, but I only have one tray so I do one after the other.

Recipe (not doubled yet lol)

6 eggs, 1/4 c cottage cheese, 1/4 c shredded cheese, 1/8 c milk, 3 pieces of bacon chopped, small handful of spinach chopped and salt and pepper to taste

I start with a cup of water in the IP on saute so it boils. I put everything in a blender except for the bacon and spinach and blend. I do a quick wipe of butter in the silicone tray. Then a pinch of spinach and bacon in each tray. Blend your ingredients and then pour into the trays, I pour to the top and sprinkle a little Nature's Seasoning but you could just use a little pepper. Then I place the tray on the trivet and lower it into the pot. Cancel the saute and then hit the steam button for 7 minutes. I NPR for about 10 minutes. I'll go over to tapatalk and add a picture.

Gypsy
12-19-2017, 01:48 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171219/803b6c19a100b6dd6c6f9a60bb120063.jpg

Nhcris
12-19-2017, 03:23 AM
Gypsy, Thank you, that will be perfect! They look yummy! I have no cottage cheese, but I will make it work :)

Nhcris
12-20-2017, 03:26 PM
i double the recipe and make 2 batches, but I only have one tray so I do one after the other.

Recipe (not doubled yet lol)

6 eggs, 1/4 c cottage cheese, 1/4 c shredded cheese, 1/8 c milk, 3 pieces of bacon chopped, small handful of spinach chopped and salt and pepper to taste

I start with a cup of water in the IP on saute so it boils. I put everything in a blender except for the bacon and spinach and blend. I do a quick wipe of butter in the silicone tray. Then a pinch of spinach and bacon in each tray. Blend your ingredients and then pour into the trays, I pour to the top and sprinkle a little Nature's Seasoning but you could just use a little pepper. Then I place the tray on the trivet and lower it into the pot. Cancel the saute and then hit the steam button for 7 minutes. I NPR for about 10 minutes. I'll go over to tapatalk and add a picture.

I made these this morning, and though yours were prettier, they were delicious! Frank loved them. I was too lazy to shop, so I had to use ricotta instead of cottage cheese, and a bit of heavy cream instead of milk, but they still came out nice and fluffy. Thank you!

serenasea
12-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Those egg bites look delicious, and the recipe is easy. I guess my next Amazon order will include a silicone tray!

owls
12-22-2017, 02:51 AM
So, did you Instapot owners get rid of your rice cookers, crock-pots, bread machines or did you keep them?

Gypsy
12-22-2017, 03:00 AM
So, did you Instapot owners get rid of your rice cookers, crock-pots, bread machines or did you keep them?

I still do rice on the stove, I never had a rice cooker, but I usually have other stuff in my IP so it's just easier. I don't think I'd use my crock pot or bread machine ever again, I really love my IP!

Nhcris
12-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Funny you should ask, as I have been wondering the same thing since I added a few new small appliances to my kitchen recently. My bread machine has been in the basement for years now (not even sure I could find it), but I will give the rice cooker to my son and donate the small crockpot. I think I will keep my big ass crockpot as there are a few times I need to feed a crowd.

What I need to get rid of is my old but amazing Cuisinart food processor and all the attachments and blades I bought for it in it's heyday. It's in that cabinet over the fridge and it's so heavy that I couldn't get it down to use it even if I wanted to! I'm debating whether or not to give away my good blender as I have a silly Magic Bullet now that does what I need. I also have a really nice toaster that I have no use for now!

Curlyd
12-23-2017, 04:50 AM
I don't have an Instant Pot and am thinking about getting one. BUT as I have a fabulous Cuisinart Roaster/Crock Pot, and a pressure cooker I am comfortable using, plus a rice cooker I am not sure yet about spending more money for another appliance.

I gave my wonderful blender to my daughter and just like Chrissy I have a great Cuisinart Food Processor (that I keep on a bottom shelf because it is so heavy) and that I never use! I really should give it to someone who would enjoy it.

If I get an Instant Pot I am afraid it would just get added to the other appliances that I have (and 3 of the I use). My kitchen isn't that big and I have been trying to pare things down!

I just don't know what to do so I will not think about it today or I might go crazy. And after all tomorrow is another day.

serenasea
12-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Interesting article in the business section of today's Seattle Times about the guy who invented the Instant Pot:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/instant-pot-is-a-kitchen-phenomenon

Mauretania
12-27-2017, 11:19 PM
My sister-in-law was thrilled with the mini Instant Pot I got her for Christmas! I had enclosed a print-out from an Instant Pot blog I found with some user-friendly tips for
the first-time user.

treyster
12-28-2017, 12:09 AM
My sister-in-law was thrilled with the mini Instant Pot I got her for Christmas! I had enclosed a print-out from an Instant Pot blog I found with some user-friendly tips for
the first-time user.

I gave my daughter a mini Instant Pot for a Christmas gift, seemed trendy. We haven't had time to start working with it. I'd like to see the blog if you can remember it.

Mauretania
12-28-2017, 08:45 PM
I gave my daughter a mini Instant Pot for a Christmas gift, seemed trendy. We haven't had time to start working with it. I'd like to see the blog if you can remember it.
treyster - It is actually an Amazon review written by an Instant Pot owner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1W1D77VW92E2D/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00FLYWNYQ
Let me know if the link works. If not, I'll cut and paste the review here, though it's long.

sondor
12-31-2017, 10:39 PM
Damn you insta pot people.....found this on clearance and had a gift card

zeus
12-31-2017, 10:48 PM
6208Does this mean you are going to take over the cooking? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sondor
12-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Does this mean you are going to take over the cooking? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I already do the cooking...that's why I bought it...Looked big enough to do pork loin in...was almost Half price and have wanted to try one

Mary9915
12-31-2017, 11:37 PM

Ooh, 11 quart, that's huge! Should fit a pork loin nicely.

sondor
12-31-2017, 11:41 PM
Ooh, 11 quart, that's huge! Should fit a pork loin nicely.

And was the about the same price as the 3qt instapot so Fiqured it was a good way to see if I like it...Not as Oval as I expected but should work.

Mary9915
12-31-2017, 11:44 PM
And was the about the same price as the 3qt instapot so Fiqured it was a good way to see if I like it...Not as Oval as I expected but should work.

Good job Sondor!

Nhcris
12-31-2017, 11:55 PM
Awesome Sondor! That one is fit for a King! Now you have to let us know how you like it and what wonderful concoctions you come up with :)

Nhcris
12-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Made this broccoli cheddar soup yesterday. Very easy and so quick, and perfect for a freezing frigging day.

Suze1000
01-01-2018, 02:27 AM
I just ordered this for my Instant Pot:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/561761704/instant-pot-decal-instant-potter-ip?ref=search_recently_viewed-2

Suze1000
01-01-2018, 02:28 AM
There are many great decals here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRockingJay?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

Curlyd
01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
There are many great decals here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRockingJay?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

So cute! Someone has a head for business. Just like the person who invented those little jewels (buttons?) that people put in the holes of their Crocks.

serenasea
01-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Mulligatawny soup for a cold night:

Nhcris
01-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Mulligatawny soup for a cold night:

What a beautiful soup! I had to look it up, as I have heard of it but never actually seen it anywhere. It sounds absolutely delicious and it has a neat history. Yum!

Curlyd
01-17-2018, 11:37 PM
This just popped up in my email from Allrecipes! Instant Pot Vegan Cabbage Soup only 67 calories but 13.4 carbs (sigh)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/261823/instant-pot-vegan-cabbage-detox-soup/?utm_source=alr-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weightloss&utm_content=socialemail&prop26=dailydish&prop25=210740&prop27=2018-01-17&did=210740-20180117

sounds delicious

Nhcris
01-17-2018, 11:43 PM
This just popped up in my email from Allrecipes! Instant Pot Vegan Cabbage Soup only 67 calories but 13.4 carbs (sigh)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/261823/instant-pot-vegan-cabbage-detox-soup/?utm_source=alr-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weightloss&utm_content=socialemail&prop26=dailydish&prop25=210740&prop27=2018-01-17&did=210740-20180117

sounds delicious

And so healthy! I bet that number includes all the carbs. For Keto, and lots of the low carb diets, you subtract the fiber since your body doesn't process it the same way, so it doesn't turn to fat.

Curlyd
01-17-2018, 11:57 PM
Nhcris
If you click on the symbol to the right of the 67 cal it give the full nutritional info. So you say you get to subtract 3.8 fiber. I didn't know that.

Nutritional Information
Instant Pot(R) Vegan Cabbage Detox Soup

1 Serving
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 67
Calories from Fat: 4
% Daily Value *
Total Fat: 0.4
Saturated Fat: 0.1
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 348
Total Carbohydrates: 13.4
** Sugars: 7.2
Dietary Fiber: 3.8
Protein: 2.3
Vitamin A - IU: 7138
Vitamin C: 27
Calcium: 79
Iron: 2
** Potassium: 367
** Thiamin: < 1
** Niacin Equivalents: < 1
** Vitamin B6: < 1
** Magnesium: 15

Nhcris
01-18-2018, 12:08 AM
@Nhcris (http://jokerswildforum.com/member.php?u=9)
If you click on the symbol to the right of the 67 cal it give the full nutritional info. So you say you get to subtract 3.8 fiber. I didn't know that.

Yup, that's how we do it for Keto. When you are staying below 20, every tenth of a gram counts haha. But, it makes sense to me because of the way the body processes it. The carbs in this soup come primarily from the tomatoes, carrots & onions, and those do turn to sugar unfortunately. A good rule of thumb is that any vegges that grow below ground have more carbs. And fruits are loaded, and tomatoes are actually a fruit, dammit!

This soup is still wicked healthy, though and a great option for anyone that isn't going super low carb.

Suze1000
01-18-2018, 01:01 AM
I made this tonight. It was delicious.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-pork-pot-roast/

serenasea
01-18-2018, 01:31 AM

I was just looking at that recipe on that site this afternoon to confirm how long to cook a pot roast in the Instant Pot. I used Giada's recipe, though, and it too was delicious.

Curlyd
01-18-2018, 01:35 AM

Yep made a pork loin roast in the pressure cooker on Sunday - on Monday made a stir fry with the left overs. I do like my pressure cooker.

Curlyd
01-18-2018, 01:37 AM
I was just looking at that recipe on that site this afternoon to confirm how long to cook a pot roast in the Instant Pot. I used Giada's recipe, though, and it too was delicious.

I usually find that 35 to 40 min (after cooker brought up to pressure) is just right but then again my roasts are usually on the small side. 3 lbs or less.

twinslotaddicts
01-20-2018, 08:38 PM
This is super exciting, my sister got one for Christmas but has been internally debating about returning it (to Costco) and buying the Instant Pot version instead. She hesitates because it was a gift but I told her it's not like she's going to return it for the money, she's just going to get the brand she wants. If the person ever comes over to eat some of her pressure cooking they wouldn't go and stare at the pressure cooker anyways and would just be happy she was using it.

Ang

sondor
01-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Made a pork loin last weekend..was ok, moister but not as tender as slow cooker...Then put the rest back in and made pulled pork, did a great job of that.
Today I cooked down some Rhubarb to use in a muffin recipe...did a great job of that, 5 min...then for lunch threw in a pack of Yakasokba Noodles some stir fry Vegetables and some shrimp in, 4min and it was really good. I would do that again the vegetables stayed in tact better than when I stir fry....Doing a Turkey Breast for Dinner...So far like my fake insta pot

Nhcris
02-14-2018, 05:50 PM
I have been mostly using the IP for prep the last couple of weeks. I've been throwing in 2-3 pounds of boneless chicken thighs or breasts wth some seasonings to have some proteins ready to go. I also did a bunch of Italian sausage in there, but I should've taken the time to brown them first. But it is really easy to get simple things ready for the week to thrown in salads or sauces.

Hey sondor, how was turkey breast? I'm thinking I want to get one next time I shop and give that a try.

sondor
02-14-2018, 09:31 PM
I have been mostly using the IP for prep the last couple of weeks. I've been throwing in 2-3 pounds of boneless chicken thighs or breasts wth some seasonings to have some proteins ready to go. I also did a bunch of Italian sausage in there, but I should've taken the time to brown them first. But it is really easy to get simple things ready for the week to thrown in salads or sauces.

Hey sondor, how was turkey breast? I'm thinking I want to get one next time I shop and give that a try.

It was good, may have cooked a little too long as it was not as juicy as I had hoped. I did not brown it so the skin was soft but we don't eat that anyway. Just for the speed I would use it for that every time and try a little less time....still nervous with undone food since it cooks so quickly

serenasea
02-14-2018, 10:26 PM
I made pork "bobbycue" (as my Southern-born husband pronounces it) in my Instant Pot over the weekend -- did a rub on the pork, then a quick saute, then a cup each of chicken broth and bottled BBQ sauce. It turned out VERY tender -- of course I had to sample while I was shredding it. Much better than the slow cooker.

Curlyd
02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
This just popped up on my FB account. A friend shared it and thought I would share it with you. It's about a problem with her instant pot and the companies response regarding possible replacement.

https://www.facebook.com/vanessalaclair/posts/10211073891391857?hc_location=ufi

owls
03-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Well, I broke down and bought an Instapot.. looking forward to cooking in it.

Suze1000
03-26-2018, 12:35 AM
Well, I broke down and bought an Instapot.. looking forward to cooking in it.

You will love it. Congrats.

owls
03-26-2018, 07:18 PM
You will love it. Congrats.

Thanks, Suze. I’m going to cook a pot roast in it this weekend.

Mary9915
03-27-2018, 05:40 PM
I've had my Instant Pot for over a year and truthfully, I'm on the fence about it and considering selling it. It seems like so much darn work to get it set up and wait for it to heat up. Sure it only takes up to an hour for cooking But between setup time, browning time, get to temperature time, cooking time, cool down time, cleanup time for all those parts and then storage...I usually reach for a Le Creuset pot and my oven first.

Anyone else feel this way?

Gypsy
03-27-2018, 06:14 PM
I made Jewish Brisket on Sunday. We celebrated Easter because my kids will be away this year. It came out so delicious!! Here is a picture and the recipe, I followed it exactly and everyone gobbled it up, from 4 to 84 years old. It was to die for tender!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/fd9493e9d6554577fc1b91780b1677a3.jpg and the link http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-jewish-brisket/

Luckylinda123
03-27-2018, 06:50 PM
I've had my Instant Pot for over a year and truthfully, I'm on the fence about it and considering selling it. It seems like so much darn work to get it set up and wait for it to heat up. Sure it only takes up to an hour for cooking But between setup time, browning time, get to temperature time, cooking time, cool down time, cleanup time for all those parts and then storage...I usually reach for a Le Creuset pot and my oven first.

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes haven’t used it in months.

Suze1000
03-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes haven’t used it in months.

I have an 8 quart. I use it for big things, like a whole chicken or a small turkey.

I liked mine so much that I recently purchased a mini 3 quart for small stuff. I just made delicious sirloin tips and mushrooms to put over gravy. I think I may end up using the mini more than the 8 quart. I love my Instant Pots.

sondor
07-01-2018, 10:32 PM
2nd hottest day of the year...why not soup..we had bought a box of vidalia's and planned to try onion soup in the insta pot.,..was supposed to storm this afternoon so did not want to grill....anyway I wanted something a little heartier so shredded a piece of pork we had and threw that in....was really good

Curlyd
06-26-2019, 01:40 AM
So as mentioned in another threads first meal in Instant Pot was a Pork roast, delicious. Now 2nd meal was baby back ribs. Recipe by Allrecipes, delicious. 30 minutes in pot (with dry rub) then 14 min. in oven with wet sauce. As I said I have used a pressure cooker since I was a young girl but this really is easier. Not sorry I bought it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190626/ec9583547d61260300bb0599426fa655.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Curlyd
06-26-2019, 02:09 AM
2nd hottest day of the year...why not soup..we had bought a box of vidalia's and planned to try onion soup in the insta pot.,..was supposed to storm this afternoon so did not want to grill....anyway I wanted something a little heartier so shredded a piece of pork we had and threw that in....was really good
7457Bill wants me to make french onion soup next!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tee2green
06-26-2019, 02:11 AM
Looking great Dawn!

Luckylinda123
06-26-2019, 04:54 AM
Ribs look so good