PDA

View Full Version : Getting Healthy Feels Great ?

Curlyd
02-21-2020, 01:11 AM
So way back on December 2 I decided it was time to get back into the gym. I have a free membership to my Village Fitness Center through Silver Sneekers. Plus I pay property taxes and it is a really nice place. Gym opens at 5:30 am and I am there almost 1st in line. Who knew so many people worked out that early in the morning.

I started on the treadmill. 3.5 miles in an hour at 1 degree incline at 3.4 speed. I feel great!

On my 18th visit I noticed that while doing my fast walk about 20 min in my heart rate drops considerably. I figure it's because my hands are all sweaty. It does this for the next 4 visit. By now I know it's not an error and Bill has decided I need to see the doc.

He says I have a low heart rate but orders a 24 hour heart monitor to check things out. OK results are he wants me to see a cardiologist. Bill has a great Cardo Doc so I go to him. He says heart rate low, mid 40's but when it goes into the 30's (while I am awake) not too good. He orders 30 day monitor (which I will be glad to get rid of next week). Also EKG, Echo, Nuclear Stress. EKG = OK, Echo = valves closing a little slowly but OK, Stress test ummm blood maybe not flowing as it should (more to find out later) but want a CT scan of the heart.

CT scan no word on blood flow yet but they now want another one of a wider area as they are seeing some spots away from the heart. Oh also have to see an Electrophysio Doc to help with why heart rate so low.

OH and "did you know you have a compression fracture, middle of your back?"

HELL NO! This getting healthy is killing me. And if I didn't feel so damn good, lost 10 pounds and feel like I could run those 3.5 miles (almost) I might be worried.

At least Spring is right around the corner.

BonAppetit
02-21-2020, 01:26 AM
Dawn,
I hope all your test results are good. Keep up with being healthy.

Lilian

DK528
02-21-2020, 03:06 AM
I hope you get some answers Dawn. Congrats on the weight loss and seeing results at the gym!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowAndSlow
02-21-2020, 04:11 AM
I think it’s a good sign that you feel
So good, and a blessing that info comes to us in unexpected ways sometimes but kudos to you for heeding the warnings and checking things out. Finally, hoping all your results are great.

Georgiagambler
02-21-2020, 04:44 AM
Curly congrats on losing weight and taking care of your health.

Funny and not funny - several years ago I was also trying to get healthy, I started taking fish oil pills because they are supposed to be good for your heart. I started exercising on my elliptical and would get chest pain. This went on a couple weeks and we were in the middle of an ice storm. Might not seem like a big deal but Atlanta completely shuts down with even half an inch of snow. Anyhow my boss threatened to call 911 so I drove myself to a fire station that was near my house. They took my vitals and took my blood pressure and it was apparently really high. I drove myself to the emergency room and they kept me overnight ekg testing etc. I didn’t tell my boyfriend or family I was in the hospital. Turned out the fish oil is what caused my chest pain. I wouldn’t have thought the thing I was doing to get healthy would be the thing that almost killed me. Maybe a week or so after I stopped taking it, I was fine. But it was scary as hell.

I’m trying to motivate myself now to start exercising again and to eat better and I keeps procrastinating and putting it off. Reading about other jokers trying to get healthy is helping to encourage me to get it together. I hope that you get good news from the doctor and continue on your healthy path!

Curlyd
02-21-2020, 05:45 AM
Curly congrats on losing weight and taking care of your health.

Funny and not funny - several years ago I was also trying to get healthy, I started taking fish oil pills because they are supposed to be good for your heart. I started exercising on my elliptical and would get chest pain. This went on a couple weeks and we were in the middle of an ice storm. Might not seem like a big deal but Atlanta completely shuts down with even half an inch of snow. Anyhow my boss threatened to call 911 so I drove myself to a fire station that was near my house. They took my vitals and took my blood pressure and it was apparently really high. I drove myself to the emergency room and they kept me overnight ekg testing etc. I didn’t tell my boyfriend or family I was in the hospital. Turned out the fish oil is what caused my chest pain. I wouldn’t have thought the thing I was doing to get healthy would be the thing that almost killed me. Maybe a week or so after I stopped taking it, I was fine. But it was scary as hell.

I’m trying to motivate myself now to start exercising again and to eat better and I keeps procrastinating and putting it off. Reading about other jokers trying to get healthy is helping to encourage me to get it together. I hope that you get good news from the doctor and continue on your healthy path!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFunny because I started taking fish oil about 2 years ago. No side effects for me though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CPT
02-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Dang Dawn, glad you got checked out and hopefully can adjust in your healthy journey to make it feel great!

tee2green
02-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Dawn,
Congrats on the weight loss! I too am glad you are getting tests and hope the results are good. 5:30 for a workout though? You are my hero! I'm seriously considering joining a gym when I retire. I have one 2 minutes from my house but may just join the YMCA a bit farther away because of their indoor and outdoor pools (I love to swim and it's so much easier on my knees).

Get yourself all better, it's been too long since we've seen you and bill [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Curlyd
02-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Our Fitness Center has a huge indoor pool. Some in line with me are headed for that at 5;30.
Funny note, I turned off my alarm last night as I couldn't to sleep, figured I wouldn't go today but woke up anyway. I'm a morning person.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Elf70
02-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Hope the tests come back clear and you’re able to continue at the gym. Your 5:30 am workouts are an inspiration. I’ve been to the gym twice since getting back from Vegas. I need to get back to the point where working out is part of my daily routine.

Reen
02-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Hope everything is okay Dawn, good to have Dr. run all the tests. The holter monitor is annoying but good to have for extended time. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Suze1000
02-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Good luck Dawn! I too am on the healthy lifestyle kick right now.

sondor
02-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Hope the tests are good and they can figure it out for you. Congrats on sticking to the workout plan.

Cyndyga
02-21-2020, 10:51 PM
Hope all turns out with the tests!

darrellk
02-22-2020, 02:00 AM
Curlyd does your 30 day monitor come with a smart phone as the monitor? I finished my 30 day test a week ago and see the doctor next Monday for a follow up appointment. The nurse told me over the phone that the results are normal.
I hated that sensor stuck to my chest for 30 days cause I normally sleep on my stomach.
Hopefully everything works out good for you.
Darrell

Curlyd
02-22-2020, 04:43 AM
Curlyd does your 30 day monitor come with a smart phone as the monitor? I finished my 30 day test a week ago and see the doctor next Monday for a follow up appointment. The nurse told me over the phone that the results are normal.
I hated that sensor stuck to my chest for 30 days cause I normally sleep on my stomach.
Hopefully everything works out good for you.
Darrell

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes it does. Unfortunately my results have issues and that's just from the nuclear stress test and the CT scan. Having another CT scan on Tuesday. But I feel so damn good they better fix whatever is going on.

TwoArmedBandito
02-22-2020, 05:43 AM
Im happy youre losing weight and feeling good. I hope the docs get your heart thing in check.

zeus
02-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Hope all ends well for you, Dawn! Your motivation is pretty impressive. My 78 year old mother goes to the gym four days a week. The local hospital has a full gym that she gets to use for like $10 a month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MrsPenguin
02-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Dawn, so glad that you followed up when your heart rate went south on you (pun intended). Seriously, too many women don't pay attention to their signs of heart problems, many of which can be fixed. The fact that you feel so well is sure a good sign! And definitely congrats on the weight loss and sticking to the gym routine through all of this.
Will you have to follow up about the compression fracture or is it one of those "it'll heal itself in time" things?
Meanwhile, you know you have a huge rooting section here for you, friends who care about you and a place to vent when you need to!

Curlyd
02-22-2020, 05:20 PM
Follow-up for fracture will be with primary doc. He is getting notified.

Nhcris
02-23-2020, 10:00 PM
Yikes Dawn, just getting caught up here. Sounds like it has been a rough couple of months for you, and I am sorry to hear that. You must have been overwhelmed with all of those reports, and especially after doing such a great job taking care of yourself recently. But it sounds like you are right on top it, and following doctors orders (You are, right?), so that is a good thing. And a stress fracture, too - that is just not fair! Please keep us in the loop. Sending you big hugs!

Curlyd
02-24-2020, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes. Yes still following up on more tests and doc visits. Also still at the gym early in the morning. 1 hour a day, 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill. I have kept the speed at 3.4 because at that speed my heart rate doesn't go so high as to do the sudden drop thingy. I don't want those poor morning workout people to have to deal with me falling off the treadmill. I also still feel really great after my workout so hopefully that is a good sign. I'm really just grateful that I started back at the gym or I wouldn't know about this heart thing until it might be too late.

foamy
02-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Good luck keep us posted .

hytail
02-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Dawn, glad to hear you are exploring your health issues with your doctors and staying with conservative activity at the workout facility.

Some what like you, about two years before I retired, I rarely saw the doctor. Until one day I didn't feel well or just couldn't feel alert. I went in for a physical and my heart rate was like 175 over 140. I had to immediately go on blood pressure medicine (which I hated because I was so used to being type A at everything and this stuff just laid me low, felt like I would walk around like a member of the walking dead slot videos). The doctor explained they don't have a category for stage 5 or 6 hypertension so I stayed on the meds. Once I retired in 2015, I made a life goal to get off the meds - I lost 20 pounds by exercise and diet, increased my cardio activities, and by 2017 after fours years of taking those meds I was able to get off them.

Today, I go to the workout place 3 to 4 times a week, dance about 4 or 5 times a week and eat like a 95 year old man with stomach cancer (salads 5 to 6 nights a week). I have manage to keep the weight off and improve my physical well being - despite being lazy as hell as I just hire everything out around and in my house - but it frees up a ton of time to golf. Right?

It was my mental will that enabled me to succeed. I sincerely hope you can find the mental strength within yourself to improve your health because we want to continue to appreciate having you around! Don't let up....

Curlyd
02-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Thanks Hytail, oddly enough I see me doc 4 times a year with blood work up twice a year. All gas always been great. It was briskly walking on the treadmill that showed me my heart rate was dropping when it shouldn't. I'm in good hands and still feel great! Dancing sounds like fun, that's how I met Bill, dancing at the USO. Too bad he wasn't the dancer, but great otherwise.

hytail
02-25-2020, 02:20 AM
The only other thing I would relay from experience is that the heart rate monitors at all the work out places I been to are questionable as to accuracy - especially the ones where you place your hand on the chrome pieces.

Curlyd
02-25-2020, 03:13 AM
The only other thing I would relay from experience is that the heart rate monitors at all the work out places I been to are questionable as to accuracy - especially the ones where you place your hand on the chrome pieces.

Yes I agree so when this started happening I thought at first just like you. I then used the app on my phone, same results, then I borrowed one of my husbands oximeters, same results. That's when Bill said I needed to see our doc. but it took me 4 days on the treadmill to agree. And rest is history. The cardiac doc said that my heart rate dropping into the 30's (yikes) wasn't really too bad if I was sleeping but when it happens when you are awake it can be another issue. Oh well more appts and more docs are in my future. But I still feel so darn great and tomorrow at 5:30 am will be at the fitness center listening to my music while getting it done.

Penguin
02-27-2020, 02:12 AM
Curlyd Hey Dawn, just to let you know we keep thinking about you and Bill. Best to you with the heart docs.

Curlyd
08-18-2020, 05:24 PM
I'm finally done with doctors (other than checkups)!! I've had my biopsy and I don't have cancer, I've had my angiogram and blockage is minimal. Just finished with Electophysiologist and he is holding off on a pacemaker. As I have no symptoms, no dizziness no palpitations nothing he will review everything in 9 months. but I had to promise that if I developed any of these things I was to call right away. A pacemaker is in my future but not now. KC here I come!

MrsSondor
08-18-2020, 05:28 PM
I'm finally done with doctors (other than checkups)!! I've had my biopsy and I don't have cancer, I've had my angiogram and blockage is minimal. Just finished with Electophysiologist and he is holding off on a pacemaker. As I have no symptoms, no dizziness no palpitations nothing he will review everything in 9 months. but I had to promise that if I developed any of these things I was to call right away. A pacemaker is in my future but not now. KC here I come!

Great news! That is like winning a jackpot!

LowAndSlow
08-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Fantastic news, Curlyd!

tee2green
08-18-2020, 05:59 PM
Woohoo Curlyd! Look out Lightning Links, she's on her way!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Laurie
08-18-2020, 06:04 PM

Great news Dawn! :)

Elf70
08-18-2020, 07:56 PM

Wonderful news! So glad you had a great outcome.

DK528
08-18-2020, 08:33 PM
Great report Curlyd!

serenasea
08-19-2020, 03:09 AM
That is wonderful news, and a relief to get the "all clear." Now it's time for some slotting with a smile!

Curlyd
07-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Well it’s been nine months and it’s taken a year and a half to finally be done with most of this. After waiting 3 months (due to Covid) last June I had the biopsy, no cancer just sarcoidosis. OK I can deal with that or so I thought. Unfortunately, it can damage organs like heart, kidney liver.
So, to make a very long story short I have sarcoidosis (inflammation of lymph nodes). Right now I’m lucky as it doesn’t affect anything on my body.

I have an irregular heartbeat that the electrophysiologists says not to worry about. I have a low heart rate (sometimes very low) but cardiac MRI says all is great, no problem heart in good shape. Don’t need to see him for another year, no pacemaker. YEA!

Yes I have 2 compressed vertebrae that sometimes make me feel like an old lady, so what!
Now I can get back to exercising and trying to lose some of this weight but not this weekend!

I plan on eating, drinking and gambling. It’s been a shitty year but I’m trying and ready to help it get better. Bettendorf here I come!

MNvegasgal
07-06-2021, 04:21 PM
Well it’s been nine months and it’s taken a year and a half to finally be done with most of this. After waiting 3 months (due to Covid) last June I had the biopsy, no cancer just sarcoidosis. OK I can deal with that or so I thought. Unfortunately, it can damage organs like heart, kidney liver.
So, to make a very long story short I have sarcoidosis (inflammation of lymph nodes). Right now I’m lucky as it doesn’t affect anything on my body.

I have an irregular heartbeat that the electrophysiologists says not to worry about. I have a low heart rate (sometimes very low) but cardiac MRI says all is great, no problem heart in good shape. Don’t need to see him for another year, no pacemaker. YEA!

Yes I have 2 compressed vertebrae that sometimes make me feel like an old lady, so what!
Now I can get back to exercising and trying to lose some of this weight but not this weekend!

I plan on eating, drinking and gambling. It’s been a shitty year but I’m trying and ready to help it bet better. Bettendorf here I come!

Dawn.. It has been an extremely rough haul for you! I predict laughter until your belly hurts, Hugs to Fill you up with love, Drinks, food.. and LL is going to be VERY Kind to you. Darlenes, Susie, Sassy and I olan to walk Saturday morning. You are welcome to join us. Not too far or too fast, just move a bit.

MrsSondor
07-06-2021, 04:45 PM
Dawn.. It has been an extremely rough haul for you! I predict laughter until your belly hurts, Hugs to Fill you up with love, Drinks, food.. and LL is going to be VERY Kind to you. Darlenes, Susie, Sassy and I olan to walk Saturday morning. You are welcome to join us. Not too far or too fast, just move a bit.

There is a nice bike/walking path all along the river, and right out of the exit of the hotel.

Curlyd
07-06-2021, 04:46 PM

Now I have to pack another pair of shoes & socks! :)

tee2green
07-06-2021, 05:36 PM

I plan on eating, drinking and gambling. It’s been a shitty year but I’m trying and ready to help it get better. Bettendorf here I come!I love your attitude! So happy to hear that the health issues aren't as serious as they could have been. Can't wait to see you!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

clemi
07-06-2021, 06:29 PM
CurlyD please know I am wishing you my best for a healthy future. Love your attitude :)

Curlyd
07-06-2021, 09:02 PM
I have to say that I was hoping and thinking I couldn't possibly need a pacemaker after hiking my a$$ off in Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons and not feeling a thing. :)

Darlene
07-07-2021, 12:21 AM
So happy to hear your health issues are resolving and won't interfere with the good things that you deserve. Can't wait to see you this weekend and get our gamble on. Maybe you can show me how to win on the Link games.

Curlyd
07-07-2021, 01:51 AM
So happy to hear your health issues are resolving and won't interfere with the good things that you deserve. Can't wait to see you this weekend and get our gamble on. Maybe you can show me how to win on the Link games.

With all the time I have played LL I've only won twice. Last trip to Vegas I got the maxed out $1,000 Major at Bally's. And just a few months ago at Joliet when I posted those wins. Trust me, I've put more in than I have take out! But I'll keep trying.