PDA

View Full Version : COVID Got Us

Darlene
10-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Hi Jokers,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Vernon and I both are recovering from Covid. We are both getting better slowly. This virus is no joke. We took the precautions that are suggested, wore our masks, used hand sanitizer and stayed out of large gatherings and still caught the virus. It hit hard and fast and the recovery is slow. Please protect yourselves and if you are exposed or feel sick, please get tested.

We are fortunate in that I had plenty of supplies to get us through the quarantine time on hand and was able to have delivered what we ran out of. Keeping family away was harder on them than us I think. We are past the contagious stage now and working on getting our energy levels back up although we still are staying away from everyone and sanitizing everything we touch.

For those of us that are a little older, I have gone back old school and keep a sink of bleach water and all dishes get washed and rinsed in bleach before going in the dishwasher. Countertops and door knobs also get a bleach wipe multiple times a day. Back when I was little, this was how mom did things when anyone got sick and we all survived, so I guess it must work :)

Our symptoms have been relatively mild; fever, headaches, body aches, dry cough, serious fatigue and loss of appetite and changes in taste and smell. We took Tylenol to bring the fever down, EmergenC and have started taking Zinc. I also take apple cider vinegar gummies daily.

One positive is that I've lost 10 pounds without trying.

Take care of yourselves, my joker friends and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

tee2green
10-20-2020, 03:13 PM
So happy to hear you and Vernon are feeling better. How long ago did you start to feel the first symptom?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Penguin
10-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Glad you two are getting better.

Curlyd
10-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Very glad you are on the mend. The scary part of this virus is that even though we take precautions we still get it and don't know where or when. Take it slow and easy to get back your strength.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

foamy
10-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Glad you guys are better our store manager in Missouri got it and is on the mend.

Laurie
10-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Glad you and Vernon are feeling better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL Mary
10-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Same here. I got my notification from the Health Department that my COVID test was positive. I had low fever, cough and loss of smell. I never really felt that badly. I have to stay isolated five more days per the health department. I have no idea where I got it as I rarely go anywhere and always take precautions.

Hope you and Vernon get better soon.

clemi
10-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Hope you all are feeling better [emoji1695]

Elf70
10-20-2020, 03:30 PM
I’m glad all of you are getting better. Covid is scary for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Mary9915
10-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Oh my, glad to hear you are on the mend!

MrsSondor
10-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear Darlene. Hope you both feel better soon! I just posted to FL Mary, that I think everyone had, has or will get this. Can only hope our bodies are strong enough to get thru.

charlie50
10-20-2020, 06:58 PM
Wow Guys sorry to hear the Rona tracked you down and found y'all and Fl mary . how weird is that . any ways hope yall feel and get better soon .but look at the bright side at least y'all cant get reinfected now .

E4208
10-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Wow Guys sorry to hear the Rona tracked you down and found y'all and Fl mary . how weird is that . any ways hope yall feel and get better soon .but look at the bright side at least y'all cant get reinfected now .That is not true.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sondor
10-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Hope you guys and Florida Mary recover quick with no issues

serenasea
10-20-2020, 08:05 PM
A scary time for you, but it's good to hear you're feeling better. Please take care of yourselves, as it sounds as if the residual effects can last for a long time.

charlie50
10-20-2020, 09:53 PM
That is not true.

Interesting where did ya hear that at Gary ?

DK528
10-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Wow, Darlene, I’m glad it didn’t knock you and Vernon out more.

At the beginning of this, when I thought for sure I’d get it because it was spreading through NYC like wildfire, I did think “well maybe I’ll lose weight if I do get it.” So I understand where you’re coming from :)

Darlene
10-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the well wishes Jokers.

Vernon exhibited symptoms first on the 6th and then I started on the 9th. 2 of Vernon's brothers that live on our property also came back COVID positive during the same timeframe. All of us are now past the mandatory 10 day quarantine required by the county and are all feeling better, but by no means feel ready to start going out in public unless absolutely necessary. I do think that a good portion of the population is going to be affected by COVID in one way or another as this is a virus and just like the flu can be picked up by casual contact. Wearing a mask is not protecting you from getting the virus, but is protecting those around you which is not something most people seem to get or either don't care about. One of the hard things for me right now is not being able to check on my elder parents and having to let my sisters step in and do the things I normally do for them, which my sisters are doing willingly but they both still work and it's easier for me most of the time. While I hope this bout with COVID gives Vernon and I an immunity, I know of an EMT that has already had COVID twice since March. My sister's boss also had COVID and so did his wife. He became pretty sick and she was asymptomatic and never felt bad at all. That's what is so scary to me because if she hadn't been tested she probably would have been spreading the virus unknowingly where ever she went.

I did get my flu shot this year and when Vernon first got sick teased him as he was supposed to go get his flu shot the next day. We neither one have had flu shots in years, but it was on my mind that this is the year to get them and I'm glad I did. As soon as possible, he'll be getting his flu shot as I can't imagine getting the flu and COVID both.

irisheyes
10-20-2020, 11:23 PM
Very sorry to hear about you and Vernon, Darlene! Keep taking care of yourselves and feel better soon! Florida Mary, the same to you! Take care of yourself and hoping that your mom has been able to keep away from all of this! So many people believe that this is a hoax and that precautions are not necessary, but we have to do all we can to protective ourselves until this horrific pandemic is over!

E4208
10-20-2020, 11:34 PM
Darlene,
Wishing you and your family a speedy recovery. Remember the lingering effects and give it time. It is a wicked beast constantly morphing.
Bloomberg surveillance has some of the best coverage I've seen. We are still learning so much.
They bring on medical folks to discuss it. Changes daily. Better learn to duck. It's no joke.

MNvegasgal
10-21-2020, 12:12 AM
Darlene and FL Mary (and Vernon) glad to hear you are on the mend. I was exposed at a wedding reception where two close friends tested positive. Got my results back today.. negative. That test was no joke.. i think they took some brain matter. I am going to reduce group
outings. I wore my mask most of
the event, but did take it
off to eat.

Stay safe everyone.. I don’t think this is going away for a while.

LowAndSlow
10-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Oh my gosh, Darlene, so sorry to hear you and Vernon both got it. Glad to hear that you're on the mend. Between you two and @FLMary, that brings the total of people I know who have had it to 4, and that's 4 too many. Thanks for letting us know what your experience was, including that you took all the standard precautions and still managed to get it. Really puts it in perspective. Wishing you and Vernon a continued and speedy full recovery.

phillycub
10-21-2020, 12:21 AM
Darlene and Vernon I’m so glad you guys are okay. COVID is no joke

Mary, I’m glad you are okay too and mama too.

FL Kathy
10-21-2020, 12:24 AM
Glad you are on the mend Darlene. So far, I am ok, but did cut a trip short because Paul started coughing, especially when he laid down. Now that Mary has tested positive, need to be more careful. Thank goodness mom is OK for now.

Jen Jen
10-21-2020, 12:31 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I personally know 3 people who had covid, sadly one died.

I agree that this virus is no joke and it has been reported that you can catch it more than once with severe symptoms.

Another reminder why everyone should wear mask to stop the spread.

Get well Darlene, Vernon, and Mary. I hope your mom is ok @FLMary.

nancypants
10-21-2020, 12:38 AM
Darlene, Vernon, Mary, wishing you three a speedy recovery.

RiverSong
10-21-2020, 12:51 AM
Wishing you all a speedy recovery, thank you for sharing.

TwoArmedBandito
10-21-2020, 12:57 AM
Interesting where did ya hear that at Gary ?Although its rare, there have been documented cases of re infection. One of them here in Washington. They know its re infection because they looked at the 2 infections and they were genetically different.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TwoArmedBandito
10-21-2020, 01:00 AM
To those that are sick. Please get better soon.

QueenB
10-21-2020, 01:54 AM
Although its rare, there have been documented cases of re infection. One of them here in Washington. They know its re infection because they looked at the 2 infections and they were genetically different.

I have seen it as well. The virus has mutated more than once, so there are different varieties. Also, at this time, IF you have any immunity, they believe it will only last for about 2 months. It will be interesting to see when vaccines come out if they will actually be more like the Influenza Vaccine where it needs to be given annually and changed every year.

Borgatadd
10-21-2020, 01:58 AM
Just seeing this thread and can't tell you how glad that everyone is on the mend. Kathy, so happy to hear that your mom didn't get it. Guys please continue to get better and take all the measures to keep yourself safe. I have known 3 people to die and another 4 or 5 that have been hospitalized, one for 4 months. This is no joke! Count your blessings if you haven't gotten it. I do everyday and try to be very cautious without being a hermit. Stay safe everyone.

TwoArmedBandito
10-21-2020, 02:06 AM
I have seen it as well. The virus has mutated more than once, so there are different varieties. Also, at this time, IF you have any immunity, they believe it will only last for about 2 months. It will be interesting to see when vaccines come out if they will actually be more like the Influenza Vaccine where it needs to be given annually and changed every year.I believe this is so. Would be added to the mix of seasonal flu vaccine

Cyndyga
10-21-2020, 02:33 AM
Glad to hear you all are feeling better! I hope you get stronger every day.

Reen
10-21-2020, 03:04 AM
Darlene hope you are both feeling better soon. Vitamin C and Zinc are good to take. Good that you had stuff in house. So hard not to be able to see family.

CTslotters
10-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences, glad everyone is on the mend and wishing you all continued health as you recover.

Suze1000
10-21-2020, 12:59 PM
I sure hope everyone is soon back to normal. These are some scary times.

Warren
10-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Wow, Darlene and FLMary, sorry to hear this but glad to hear you're on the mend.

goldengreeke
10-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Hope you all get well without any complications. Despite what our president claims, (and I am still voting for him again) this virus is NOT going away anytime soon! Just this week my niece and nephew in Cedar Rapids caught it, Sharon's aunt caught it, and a few of my friends who caught it over two months ago are still recovering. their symptoms will just not go away! One of my friends sadly died from it and he was healthier than me. The small county I live in,(Whiteside Co. Illinois,) has more Covid cases than the WHOLE state of Colorado! Scary times are here and wear a mask, if not for you, wear it for everybody else you come in contact with!

Mauretania
10-23-2020, 03:07 PM
I hope you all get well soon. I’m sorry to hear it’s hit some of our Joker family.

FL Mary
10-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Update. Day 9 for me. I feel weak but haven't eaten much this week. Appetite is starting to come back. After 8 days with fever, I finally am fever-free. Hope it lasts. My 10 day isolation period should end tomorrow as long as I don't have a fever. My sister Debbie tested positive too, so that's where I got it. She doesn't know where she got it. I'm thankful that I had a mild case. It felt like a mild flu. I have never slept so much in my life! So glad that I'm feeling better and hope to be back to normal soon. Thank you all for the well wishes!

charlie50
10-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Update. Day 9 for me. I feel weak but haven't eaten much this week. Appetite is starting to come back. After 8 days with fever, I finally am fever-free. Hope it lasts. My 10 day isolation period should end tomorrow as long as I don't have a fever. My sister Debbie tested positive too, so that's where I got it. She doesn't know where she got it. I'm thankful that I had a mild case. It felt like a mild flu. I have never slept so much in my life! So glad that I'm feeling better and hope to be back to normal soon. Thank you all for the well wishes!

Good to hear your getting better and glad you think you've found the source . that would drive me crazy trying to figure it out .

bluesfan
10-23-2020, 05:07 PM
I was sorry to see this thread, but glad those who got the darn Covid are on the mend!

Reen
10-23-2020, 06:10 PM

Mary take it easy and get your rest. Glad to hear your fever free. Hope you feel better soon.

Penguin
10-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Take care and don't push yourself. The body may take a while to fully recover. Glad Mom is okay.

tee2green
10-23-2020, 08:41 PM
Update. Day 9 for me. I feel weak but haven't eaten much this week. Appetite is starting to come back. After 8 days with fever, I finally am fever-free. Hope it lasts. My 10 day isolation period should end tomorrow as long as I don't have a fever. My sister Debbie tested positive too, so that's where I got it. She doesn't know where she got it. I'm thankful that I had a mild case. It felt like a mild flu. I have never slept so much in my life! So glad that I'm feeling better and hope to be back to normal soon. Thank you all for the well wishes!Keep improving. Stay safe and please keep Mama Linda safe[emoji173]

ineedajackpot
10-24-2020, 08:38 PM
I just ran across this thread. I am sorry this has happened I hope you all are feeling better soon.

foamy
10-25-2020, 05:42 PM
My sister texted me this morning. My Mom has covid and pneumonia they took her to the hospital this morning. They gave her medicine and her temperature is going down already and said as soon as she tests negative she can go home. She’s 90 but always been tough it’s much better than I thought when I got the text.

clemi
10-25-2020, 05:45 PM
Greg sending prayers for your mom [emoji120]

MNvegasgal
10-25-2020, 06:05 PM
How Scarey Greg! Prayers for her quick recovery!

TwoArmedBandito
10-25-2020, 07:34 PM
My sister texted me this morning. My Mom has covid and pneumonia they took her to the hospital this morning. They gave her medicine and her temperature is going down already and said as soon as she tests negative she can go home. She’s 90 but always been tough it’s much better than I thought when I got the text.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHoping she recovers soon.

Elf70
10-25-2020, 07:38 PM
So scary Greg. Praying for a speedy recovery for your mom.

LowAndSlow
10-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear, Greg. That’s definitely a text that would scare the begeebers out of anyone. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for you Mom.

FL Mary
10-25-2020, 11:36 PM

Sorry to hear this, Foamy. Hope she recovers quickly.

P.S. I'm at Day 11 and still not back to normal yet. I went to the ER today and got a chest x-ray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia but it just showed Covid. Thankfully, I didn't get admitted.

tee2green
10-25-2020, 11:44 PM
You know I'm praying for your mom[emoji120]

Curlyd
10-26-2020, 12:40 AM
Prayers for a quick recovery for your Mom foamy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

michelelovesvegas
10-26-2020, 12:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers up for all.

charlie50
10-26-2020, 01:00 AM
Sorry to hear this, Foamy. Hope she recovers quickly.

P.S. I'm at Day 11 and still not back to normal yet. I went to the ER today and got a chest x-ray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia but it just showed Covid. Thankfully, I didn't get admitted.

Good to hear Mary

Pat
10-26-2020, 02:01 AM
Yes FL Mary, glad to hear this but get better soon.

FL Kathy
10-26-2020, 02:29 AM
Sorry to hear this Greg. Praying for your moms recovery!

Darlene
10-26-2020, 02:41 AM
foamy your mom is in my thoughts and prayers.

Vernon and I are both much better, still tire easily and have dry coughs. We haven't been to the doctor and since we are continuing to improve we will continue to stay home as much as possible and stay away from others since our resistance is down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mary9915
10-26-2020, 12:54 PM
foamy, sorry to hear about you mom. I’m sending my prayers and healing wishes your way.

Sending more prayers and healing vibes to you Fl Mary and you two Darlene and Vernon. Damn COVID!

charlie50
10-26-2020, 01:01 PM
foamy your mom is in my thoughts and prayers.

Vernon and I are both much better, still tire easily and have dry coughs. We haven't been to the doctor and since we are continuing to improve we will continue to stay home as much as possible and stay away from others since our resistance is down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Glad y'all are feeling better too.

goldengreeke
10-26-2020, 01:15 PM
Just read this foamy and I'm really sorry she caught that dreaded disease. She's a tough old gal with big bones and a strong heart and I am sure that she can beat it! Sending healing thoughts and prayers to your mother.

DK528
10-26-2020, 02:03 PM
foamy hope your mom recovers quickly!

irisheyes
10-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Very sorry to hear this, Greg! My prayers and thoughts are with you. Hope that she has a fast recovery and is soon back in good health.

irisheyes
10-26-2020, 09:17 PM
Mary, saying prayers for you too. Hope you soon get back to normal and rid of this virus!

Borgatadd
10-26-2020, 11:32 PM
Greg, I just saw this and wishing your mom well. I will keep her and your family in my prayers.
FL Mary, so sorry you are still feeling some symptoms of the virus. I hope this passes soon and you have a full recovery.

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

emmas
10-30-2020, 06:46 PM
I just ran across this thread. Darlene and FL Mary (and Vernon), so sorry to hear that you contracted the virus, but glad to see that you're on the mend. Hope all of you will soon feel like your normal selves with no lasting repercussions.

foamy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like she's tough and hopefully will fully recover from this.

RiverSong
10-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Hope your is comfortably recovering foamy. Glad to hear you guys are getting better Darlene, Vernon, FL Mary.

foamy
11-02-2020, 11:58 PM
My Mom has it whipped going to let her out of the hospital Wednesday it looks like.

charlie50
11-03-2020, 12:07 AM
My Mom has it whipped going to let her out of the hospital Wednesday it looks like.

Thats awesome ..Gooooo foamy Mom

Elf70
11-03-2020, 12:20 AM

That’s wonderful! Thanks for the update.

clemi
11-03-2020, 12:53 AM

Great news [emoji3590]

tee2green
11-03-2020, 01:04 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGreat news[emoji173].

Borgatadd
11-03-2020, 01:17 AM

So happy to hear that foamy.

michelelovesvegas
11-03-2020, 11:34 AM
That's fantastic Greg.

foamy
11-03-2020, 01:19 PM
My mom told my sister yesterday did you know I had that thing that’s going around and she said yeah I knew.

emmas
11-03-2020, 01:55 PM
foamy, great news on your mom.

Mary9915
11-03-2020, 03:14 PM

That’s GREAT news Foamy!!

FL Mary
11-03-2020, 04:08 PM
So happy to hear this, foamy!

TwoArmedBandito
11-03-2020, 05:29 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWonderful!

Pat
11-03-2020, 06:10 PM
great news foamy

FL Kathy
11-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Great news on your mom.

bluesfan
11-06-2020, 12:02 AM
I just popped in and saw the great news Foamy, glad your mom beat it!

Darlene
11-06-2020, 05:56 PM
foamy fantastic new on your mom!!