PDA

View Full Version : Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant?

DK528
02-04-2022, 09:14 PM
I have a trip in the works and it may involve flying from Phoenix to Vegas (just an hour flight). Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant are much cheaper (and better times) than American or Southwest.

Any of those three you prefer or you’d avoid? I’ve never flown any.

I’d have a checked bag and a carryon.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sondor
02-04-2022, 09:25 PM
I have only flown Spirit, they used to have a couple 2 across seats in front you could pay a bit more for, but for that short a flight may be ok in a standard. I think Frontier is similar to Spirit. Have not heard a lot of positives about Allegiant.

MrsSondor
02-04-2022, 09:34 PM
I think have to pay for bag on all of those except Southwest, so factor $40-$50 a bag each way into the other airlines. Is short flight, so I would just go with best, most convenient times.

TwoArmedBandito
02-04-2022, 09:57 PM
Have you looked at JSX? Sometimes their prices are comparable. Plus no hassle with TSA , "private jet" type service. Etc...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

zeus
02-04-2022, 10:38 PM
I have not flown any of the three, but what I would look at more so that just the price is the number of flights per day from Phoenix to Vegas. One airline may have flights every hour and a half, where another may only have two flights per day. In case the flight you are booked on is canceled there are more options of you getting there on the carrier that has more options per day.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Darlene
02-04-2022, 10:55 PM
Never flown on Spirit. Only flown Allegiant a couple times and it was OK. Have flown Frontier several times and it's very similar to Southwest on the planes, the added fees for baggage, picking your seat, etc. make it almost the same price as SW most of the time for me when comparing prices.

DK528
02-04-2022, 11:24 PM
Have you looked at JSX? Sometimes their prices are comparable. Plus no hassle with TSA , "private jet" type service. Etc...

Lol it’s $771. The others are $100 even with carryon and checked bag fees.

Did just read a Points Guy article about JSX and bringing pets on board.

Cyndyga
02-05-2022, 12:29 AM
I've flown Spirit short flights and its fine. I always bring a water onboard any plane so don't mind their price structure. Lately out of Atlanta they have the best times. A short flight I wouldn't hesitate to fly them.

TwoArmedBandito
02-05-2022, 12:32 AM
Lol it’s $771. The others are $100 even with carryon and checked bag fees.

Did just read a Points Guy article about JSX and bringing pets on board.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYikes!

Luckylinda123
02-05-2022, 01:36 AM
I always fly on southwest. Book when there is a sale I have been paying $59-69 each way. Tuesday is a great day to book normally southwest starts a sale then. Easy to cancel or change with southwest.

Georgiagambler
02-05-2022, 03:41 PM
I have flown Spirit and Frontier multiple times. Both are the about the same. I think Frontier has reasonable “bundles” that includes seat, carry on and checked bag. I think either would be fine for the short flight. Longer flights can be more tricky because the seats are not comfortable

KingJasonSlots
02-05-2022, 05:46 PM
I have flown Spirit and Frontier multiple times. Both are the about the same. I think Frontier has reasonable “bundles” that includes seat, carry on and checked bag. I think either would be fine for the short flight. Longer flights can be more tricky because the seats are not comfortable

Omg, so true. The seats on Spirit and Frontier that I have had are hard as metal. But, since moving to Tampa I have flown Spirit 5x and all have been on time and easy.

charlie50
02-05-2022, 07:30 PM
never used any of those a ls . we was suppose to use Aligant once a ways back to go to gulfport . but the plane had motor problems so it never left the gate . we wound up canceling the trip and went to Coushatta instead.

Darlene
02-05-2022, 08:40 PM
Omg, so true. The seats on Spirit and Frontier that I have had are hard as metal. But, since moving to Tampa I have flown Spirit 5x and all have been on time and easy.

That's great to hear as I fly out of Tampa too and have always avoided Spirit for the long flight as it I had heard they weren't great. I'll look at giving them a try.

foamy
02-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Not a fan of Allegiant but it's cheap and my cousin fly's to Florida and back to the Quad Cities twice a month and loves it.

DK528
02-06-2022, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I may end up going with American as it’s only $50 more expensive, it has a bunch of flights daily (unlike these three airlines), and I have credit from cancelled flights from March 2020.

I may go to a concert the night I get in so don’t want to get stuck if I take an airline with one flight a day.

And rental cars are outrageous!

foamy
02-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I may end up going with American as it’s only $50 more expensive, it has a bunch of flights daily (unlike these three airlines), and I have credit from cancelled flights from March 2020.

I may go to a concert the night I get in so don’t want to get stuck if I take an airline with one flight a day.

I think that is a wise decision.

zeus
02-06-2022, 04:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPhoenix being a hub for American is a huge plus, and worth the $50.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DK528
02-06-2022, 11:52 PM
Flights booked!

Newark-Phoenix, Phoenix-Vegas, Vegas-Newark.

First time in vegas for March madness! Will be staying at Resorts World for a night or two because I got an offer for concert tickets and I’m going to see Katy Perry!

treyster
02-07-2022, 12:00 PM
FYI -Sprit and Frontier just announced a merger. Probably more airline mergers coming this year.

foamy
02-07-2022, 12:15 PM
FYI -Sprit and Frontier just announced a merger. Probably more airline mergers coming this year.

I just saw that. I really don’t know if that’s good or bad.

sondor
02-07-2022, 02:28 PM
I just saw that. I really don’t know if that’s good or bad.

Probably a little of Each, they both fly to Vegas from here, though not sure I would take them on that long of flight...so we will loose some competition but the elimination of overlapping routes may let them open up service to some of the smaller airports, so you may get more options. Maybe they bring back service to AC again that would be nice. Also a bigger fleet may help with the flight cancellations when something goes wrong.

dvandentop
02-07-2022, 05:49 PM
FYI -Sprit and Frontier just announced a merger. Probably more airline mergers coming this year.which other ones do you think would merge?

treyster
02-07-2022, 06:18 PM
Difficult to say. I just think there will be some consolidation with the reduction of business fliers. Those last minute business fares are major revenue. Couple that with shortage of workers participating in the workforce and the business models of 2 yrs ago don't work well.

CPT
02-07-2022, 06:38 PM
I think Spirit is bigger than Frontier, so I'm assuming Spirit will stay and Frontier will go.