User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So this is where everyone went...

I'm so happy you are here Billy & Moyra! I love your EPIC trip reports!! Safe Travels and Happy Slotting! Mary

Welcome to the forum and i look forward to reading the next parts of your trip report!

Welcome to the forum! Without getting too political (because I consider myself a centrist like most Americans except for the sad fact that you only hear about either extremes of the spectrum if you turn on the tv), I think it is such a shame that a couple like yourself has such a hard time obtaining the right to immigrate to the United States. My family moved from the Republic of Georgia in 1994, when I was 6, and we came on political asylum because they were persecuting Jews left and right in the former Soviet Union. Even then we had a difficult time entering the United States and my mom and newborn sister obtained the rights to come here while I was left back with my dad and grandparents until we were reunited two years later. Sadly, things haven't changed much. I worked in the immigration clinic during law school and it is amazing how little we have come in the way of creating proper legislation and procedure to allow people to obtain legal entry to the United States. And while there are something around 11,000,000 undocumented aliens in the US today, the ones that pay taxes and work and are law-abiding people are MORE LIKELY to be deported or forced to leave the country than those who do not pay taxes and work off the books simply because they have an electronic footprint. And don't get me started on immigration courts (also known as the "Board of Appeals") where lawyers are almost non-existent (since immigration law is almost non-existent in the US) and the judge has free will and absolute discretion to rule however he or she pleases with an almost impossible appeals process. Apologies for the rant, but what I am trying to say is that it is unjust and unfortunate that individuals like you and Moyra, who would be a tremendous benefit to have in our country, have to go through a painstakingly difficult immigration process with no promise of succeeding. Damn shame.

welcome the forum reading your trip report and enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by inceptiongeek View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Without getting too political (because I consider myself a centrist like most Americans except for the sad fact that you only hear about either extremes of the spectrum if you turn on the tv), I think it is such a shame that a couple like yourself has such a hard time obtaining the right to immigrate to the United States. My family moved from the Republic of Georgia in 1994, when I was 6, and we came on political asylum because they were persecuting Jews left and right in the former Soviet Union. Even then we had a difficult time entering the United States and my mom and newborn sister obtained the rights to come here while I was left back with my dad and grandparents until we were reunited two years later. Sadly, things haven't changed much. I worked in the immigration clinic during law school and it is amazing how little we have come in the way of creating proper legislation and procedure to allow people to obtain legal entry to the United States. And while there are something around 11,000,000 undocumented aliens in the US today, the ones that pay taxes and work and are law-abiding people are MORE LIKELY to be deported or forced to leave the country than those who do not pay taxes and work off the books simply because they have an electronic footprint. And don't get me started on immigration courts (also known as the "Board of Appeals") where lawyers are almost non-existent (since immigration law is almost non-existent in the US) and the judge has free will and absolute discretion to rule however he or she pleases with an almost impossible appeals process. Apologies for the rant, but what I am trying to say is that it is unjust and unfortunate that individuals like you and Moyra, who would be a tremendous benefit to have in our country, have to go through a painstakingly difficult immigration process with no promise of succeeding. Damn shame.
    Appreciate the post IG,

It is a frustration. When we hear of the border issues and the proposed amnesties which are mooted every now and again, it does seem a shame that the immigration is quite so tightly controlled. A waiver stating that you commit to various things, including not claiming any sort of benefits and not committing any sort of crime (or else you're on the next rowboat back to Scotland!) would do us fine as we're only trying to bring positive things (such as brown sauce and an incomprehensible language) here!

I'll find a wee place on the forum (may well end up here) to chart that journey as we need a lot of information and help along the way with how things actually work over here in comparison to back home.

I'll be straight onto the Visa office as soon as we're back home though. The process is officially about to begin.

Cheers,

Billy

Hello and Welcome to the Jokers Forum! Love your trip reports and I can't wait to see how well this one goes.

Amber

Welcome to the Forum.

I am off to England and Scotland August 10-25th with my 18yr old son for his graduation trip. I have family in Glasgow and will tie in some EPL and SPL football games in.

I am hoping to explore northern Scotland for a few days and get off the beaten track. I have been to Skye and was blown away with its beauty and history.

Cheers

B

[QUOTE=Big Mac;41718]Welcome to the Forum.

I am off to England and Scotland August 10-25th with my 18yr old son for his graduation trip. I have family in Glasgow and will tie in some EPL and SPL football games in.

I am hoping to explore northern Scotland for a few days and get off the beaten track. I have been to Skye and was blown away with its beauty and history.

Cheers

B [\Quote]

Thanks Big Mac,

Sounds like a great way to celebrate graduating. Have a brilliant trip. Should you need anything at all during your visit to Scotland, give us a shout as we're back on the 17th of August and will happily assist if and where we can.

Cheers,

Billy

[QUOTE=Big Mac;41718]Welcome to the Forum.

Cheers

B [\Quote]

Thanks Big Mac,

Sounds like a great way to celebrate graduating. Have a brilliant trip. Should you need anything at all during your visit to Scotland, give us a shout as we're back on the 17th of August and will happily assist if and where we can.

Cheers,

Billy

Welcome to the forum Billy and Moyra.