User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The water racket

The water racket

There's a pernicious trend I've noticed recently at high-end Vegas lounges, including Clique at Cosmo and Vista Lounge at Caesars: Servers saying they can only give you bottled water.

No, it's not because they lack conventional plumbing behind the bar. It's so they can add another $8-$10 to your tab.

EVIL. Especially considering that Vegas is in the desert -- and there are a lot of inexperienced drinkers who don't consume enough water along with their alcohol.

Anyone else encountered this? If so, where?

(In contrast, just a few yards away from Clique at Cosmo's Queue Bar, there's a nice big frosty water dispenser and plastic cups at the end of the bar, free to any and all passersby. And at least some of the MGM properties have fruity water in big dispensers near the check-in lines -- I've seen this at MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay. Now THAT is civilized!)

Is that even legal?? Well I guess it is, but a necessity of life should typically be available free of charge.
    Back in my wild and crazy teen years we would spend an entire Saturday visiting all of the fast food restaurants in the valley, simply asking for a cup of water and to see how many cups we could collect. Dairy Queen was the only one to ever charge us I believe $.25, those cheap asses..haha
    Karma Is Like 69 : You Get What You Give
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haven't noticed this yet in the bars, but I'm not surprised. May be just a server "trick" to get your tab larger, more tips though? I have seen plenty of servers come up with ideas to make more money even if it's not the policies of where they work, until they get too many complaints.

I did notice on my last trip, I went to the Starbucks at PH and ordered my usual iced coffee, which is more expensive than a Starbucks anywhere else, but also ordered a cup of water there. I do this often at Starbucks and it's always free- but they charged me about a $1 or so for the cup of water!

The CET properties also have that fruity water in the Diamond check in area too, and they will give me as many free bottles of water in there that I want- always ask for some at check in and I'll often stop by during my stay for more, and they happily give them out- or I'll just bring a case of water with me when I drive to Vegas.
    Last edited by kdk; 03-06-2016 at 10:50 PM.

I haven't noticed this yet, did they do it to us that night we had drinks before dinner at CliQue?
    Slot Youtube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Las Vegas Trip reports:

Twitter:

As vegas runs out of water. Maybe in the future there will be water meters for every room. Then you pay a water bill at the end of your stay. Funny thought or future reality???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TwoArmedBandito View Post
    As vegas runs out of water. Maybe in the future there will be water meters for every room. Then you pay a water bill at the end of your stay. Funny thought or future reality???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Don't give em ideas!!

Yeah the last LV trip I asked for a glass or at one of the regular bar lounges. I could tell this annoyed the bar tender, but they gave me a water on ice. Maybe Gene knows if they are required to give you free water in the drink lounges or can require you to pay for bottled water. I think @CTP poses a good question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evoni View Post
    I haven't noticed this yet, did they do it to us that night we had drinks before dinner at CliQue?
    Yes, actually -- I asked for some water along with our cocktails and our adorable server said, "Oh, we can only serve bottled water. Is that OK?" Having been nailed by this at Vista Lounge the month before, i said "no thanks." Boo!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    There's a pernicious trend I've noticed recently at high-end Vegas lounges, including Clique at Cosmo and Vista Lounge at Caesars: Servers saying they can only give you bottled water.

No, it's not because they lack conventional plumbing behind the bar. It's so they can add another $8-$10 to your tab.

EVIL. Especially considering that Vegas is in the desert -- and there are a lot of inexperienced drinkers who don't consume enough water along with their alcohol.

Anyone else encountered this? If so, where?

(In contrast, just a few yards away from Clique at Cosmo's Queue Bar, there's a nice big frosty water dispenser and plastic cups at the end of the bar, free to any and all passersby. And at least some of the MGM properties have fruity water in big dispensers near the check-in lines -- I've seen this at MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay. Now THAT is civilized!)
    Yup Vegas is pretty bad about the water thing . I remember paying 5 and 7 $$$ for designer water .Ridiculous !.. But i will say this ...SOME where in that building there is free water . even if its from the B Room sink.

Blog Entries
    I bought a beer at Plaza last week at the bar. Asked for one of those small bottles of water they give out free at the same time. They charged me $4.50 for the beer and $3 for the water. Lesson learned.
    #######
    Fair dinkum legend