User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Poker Philosophy

For people who play $1 and $5 video poker how much do you usually insert in for a session? Unlike slots they cant be hot or cold really can they? Would $250 be a good starting point for $1 machine?

Quote Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
    For people who play $1 and $5 video poker how much do you usually insert in for a session? Unlike slots they cant be hot or cold really can they? Would $250 be a good starting point for $1 machine?
    Usually $100 for $1
    I'll only play $5 VP if I'm ahead and not add any to the machine, just switch denominations (that's why I prefer multi-denom machines with all denom being on the same RNG).

Absolutely, they can be hot or cold. Sometimes you'll hit the dead-hand zones and sometimes hit something on every hand.

$250 is fine to start and get a feel for how it's playing. Which game are you planning on playing?

It also makes a big difference what game you are playing, @dvandentop. If you are playing something volatile like ddb, cold spells can be brutal whereas Bonus Poker can withstand longer cold spells because of the better payout for 2oak. (I know this because the VP Fairy Monica taught me to switch games to get more play.) I have been known to go through $300 on quarter ddb in 30 minutes, so imagine how quick your $250 could go on $5 ddb. 10 hands and out is not fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
    $100 for $1 machine. Should last you for a while if you are playing JOB. If you are playing DDB which I do, you can have $100 last you only about ten minutes, or if you're lucky and get a few four of a kinds ($250) then it can keep you playing for a while til you get a big one - 4 aces with a kicker!! or 4 2s, 3s or 4s!

I started out gambling on VP and Roulette. When slots got "fun" with bonus features I started playing them. I need a Monica lesson!

Yes, DDB is volatile and it's best to stick with Bonus Poker and you may get lucky and hit a royal.

Funny thing Chris, I noticed both those lovely royals you hit were on Bonus Poker!

When I play single line $1 VP, I almost always stick to Bonus Poker or some kind of Deuces wild varient. I will play $1 if I am ahead , just to see if I can nail another quad. Sometimes it happens. Another thing I do is play $1 Super times pay, but set the machine to play only one line. I have hit some nice pays with mulipliers , but no multiplied royal, yet.

I usually start out with $100 for every VP session. be it quarters, 50c or dollars. When I do get up signifigantly, I walk. this is usually after hitting a premium quad on DDB.

If you are looking to maximize coin in, look into playing triple or five play. This reduces varience generally. I churned out $30k of coin in just a few hours at Bellagio playing 3/5/10 play Bonus poker, and still walked away with more than my buy in. But if those quads don't come, you get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygenator View Post
    When I play single line $1 VP, I almost always stick to Bonus Poker or some kind of Deuces wild varient. I will play $1 if I am ahead , just to see if I can nail another quad. Sometimes it happens. Another thing I do is play $1 Super times pay, but set the machine to play only one line. I have hit some nice pays with mulipliers , but no multiplied royal, yet.

I usually start out with $100 for every VP session. be it quarters, 50c or dollars. When I do get up signifigantly, I walk. this is usually after hitting a premium quad on DDB.

If you are looking to maximize coin in, look into playing triple or five play. This reduces varience generally. I churned out $30k of coin in just a few hours at Bellagio playing 3/5/10 play Bonus poker, and still walked away with more than my buy in. But if those quads don't come, you get killed.
    Did you get some nice offers after that trip? Good amount of coin in for sure

I"m still waiting to see what happens, as the trip was but a month ago.

dvandentop,
    My offers from the alphabet group A, B and MGM typically are three comped nights, $125 free play and $50 - $100 F/B from playing $1/$2 single line and $! triple/.50 five-play.
    Also, B offers me comped tickets for sports events and the full year of headliner shows. But I'm a degenerate gambler and have never used any tickets