User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with timing out

Help with timing out

Can someone help me with this. If it takes me longer than maybe one minute to type up something I get logged out. I have found if I log back in and go back to the thread I was replying to, there is an "auto-saved" version of what I typed, but sometimes its not the whole thing, ie I've lost some of what I've typed.

Maybe I'm too wordy? I would like to do a trip report but this is too frustrating to have to keep logging back in,

Thanks.

You aren't the only person to mention this to me lately, but wasn't sure if it was happening to anyone else or not. Has it always been like this or just happened recently? I want to say it is a browser/cookies issue as I haven't noticed any changes on my end. I can reach out to GoDaddy and check with them as I exhausted the vBulletin tech support last time when we had the issue on the old server. It used to do that to me on another forum all the time. I would open a new window, make sure I'm logged in, and then make my post. A pain but it worked hehe
    Karma Is Like 69 : You Get What You Give
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It happens on my PC more than on my phone or tablet. If I feel like I may be too wordy and that it may time out on me, I copy my post before submitting it. Then if I do have to log back in all I have to do is paste it. I learned the hard way. But I have had to do this on a couple of forums.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT View Post
    You aren't the only person to mention this to me lately, but wasn't sure if it was happening to anyone else or not. Has it always been like this or just happened recently? I want to say it is a browser/cookies issue as I haven't noticed any changes on my end. I can reach out to GoDaddy and check with them as I exhausted the vBulletin tech support last time when we had the issue on the old server. It used to do that to me on another forum all the time. I would open a new window, make sure I'm logged in, and then make my post. A pain but it worked hehe
    Thanks - I've only been posting for a couple months, and yes its been happening since then. By opening a new window do you mean Word, then cut and paste that into the forum box?

Quote Originally Posted by zeus View Post
    It happens on my PC more than on my phone or tablet. If I feel like I may be too wordy and that it may time out on me, I copy my post before submitting it. Then if I do have to log back in all I have to do is paste it. I learned the hard way. But I have had to do this on a couple of forums.
    Thanks Zeus - I'm on a laptop, no phone or tablet (I'm old fashioned and too cheap to switch). Where do you copy your post - to Word?

Quote Originally Posted by barbarbar View Post
    Thanks - I've only been posting for a couple months, and yes its been happening since then. By opening a new window do you mean Word, then cut and paste that into the forum box?
    You can copy it first, just be selecting all and then selecting copy. That way you can paste it later if need be. If you ope another window of your internet browser and log back in, usually you can submit in your first browser and it should post no trouble. And your words are still ready to paste if all else fails and nothing is lost!
    Karma Is Like 69 : You Get What You Give
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog Entries
    Running windows 7 on a HP laptop no issues here .

Quote Originally Posted by CPT View Post
    You can copy it first, just be selecting all and then selecting copy. That way you can paste it later if need be. If you ope another window of your internet browser and log back in, usually you can submit in your first browser and it should post no trouble. And your words are still ready to paste if all else fails and nothing is lost!
    Guess I need to brush up on my computer skills as I couldn't get paste to work. It was kind of a pain but I did get it done by typing it in word, logged into forum and got into the forum to where I wanted it, ie trips, put them side by side, select all of my word document and dragged it to the forum box.

Thanks everyone for your help and hope you read my first trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarbar View Post
    Guess I need to brush up on my computer skills as I couldn't get paste to work. It was kind of a pain but I did get it done by typing it in word, logged into forum and got into the forum to where I wanted it, ie trips, put them side by side, select all of my word document and dragged it to the forum box.

Thanks everyone for your help and hope you read my first trip report.
    Hi, barbarbar. Underneath where you log in, you will see a box. Click on that box and it will place a check mark in the box. That should take care of the problem of timing out and you can do your typing without having to log out. Log out when you finish. When you log in again, click on the box every time and you should remain logged in for the duration of your time on the forum, regardless of any interaction or not.
    RamblinGamblin1 ​on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dwwright12 View Post
    Hi, barbarbar. Underneath where you log in, you will see a box. Click on that box and it will place a check mark in the box. That should take care of the problem of timing out and you can do your typing without having to log out. Log out when you finish. When you log in again, click on the box every time and you should remain logged in for the duration of your time on the forum, regardless of any interaction or not.
    Oh my gosh! Thanks so much. I'm going to try that. I thought there was a place to set this but I looked in settings, profile, all over several times. Hugs!