User Tag List

Thread: Must See in Miami?

Must See in Miami?

My DH and I are going on the NCL Getaway in December...alone!!! So excited, we are flying into Miami a day early and we will have the entire day there. This is our first time visiting Miami so I'm looking for suggestions as to what we must see while we are there for the day. Looking for must eat restaurants too. Which race track is the closest to the airport area, we will probably just book a room somewhere right near the airport and cruise terminal. Also, not renting a car, we'll Uber or cab it everywhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I wanted a time out, I would go back to kindergarten.

Good for you both! For hotel I would definitely recommend the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. It is a nice hotel and you overlook the port. I believe Nhcris has stayed there also. One place that you have to go is South Beach. Very close to the hotel and port. The most incredible looking water that makes you think you are not in the US. Really neat architecture and shops. A great place to eat that we enjoyed was Gloria Estefan's Larios On The Beach.

I concur with Zeus that Marriott Biscayne Bay works really well for a cruise out of Miami. It is close to Bayside shopping area on the water which has shops and places to eat if you just want to stay close to the hotel. There are other amazing dining options down there but I haven't explored much.

We often fly to Fort Lauderdale because there are non-stops from here, so we have gone to Gulfstream race track a few times. It is a beautiful track but close to 20 miles from the Marriott I think. There used to be Hialeah & Calder in Miami, but I think they are both closed now, although Hialeah might still do quarter horse racing. I think most of them have racinos. Be sure to check the schedule as I missed Gulfstream by a day last time I tried to go.

@ Nhcris, thanks for the added info, I am getting so overwhelmed with the reality that we are going away in 3 months. Between what I have going on at work and leaving our 3 kids with my MIL for 8 nights, it makes me nervous that we are really doing this.

Have you cruised to any of the ports that I'll be going to:
    Belize, Honduras, Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel?

Wondering if we can get away just taking cabs on our own to beaches or do we have to do the excursions?

You betcha. If you let me know what you are thinking I can give you specific recommendations. That's the same itinerary I am doing in December. Fair warning - None of these ports are as civilized and classy as Bermuda

Belize - Unless you are stopping in Harvest Caye, definitely take an excursion unless you just want to stay inside the cruise port. The city is rough and you don't want to just wander around there. If it's Harvest Caye, it's a brand new private island (not even open yet) and you won't need to plan anything as there will be a beach, bars, restaurants & activities right there.

Honduras - if it is Roatan, I recommend taking an excursion. Last time I was there it was still a little rough around the edges, but the snorkeling is fabulous. I hear there are some nice beaches, but I haven't been. I don't recommend Gumbalinda park. We hated it.

Cozumel - You can easily grab a cab to a beach. There are some decent beach clubs that have packages if you want something all inclusive for the day. It is also fun (although hectic) to do some shopping downtown right where the ships dock. I never miss Panchos Backyard for their fish tacos!

Costa Maya - Very easy to get to Majahaul by taxi (or they may have a shuttle bus thingy now) which is a fishing village with a bunch of beachfront bars/restaurants. If you order food & drinks, chairs are usually free. It's a very inexpensive way to spend a day. I believe there are some nicer places since last time I was there, & I am planning on trying one of those this time.

Don't forget to check out the Cruise Critic ports of call forum for specific ideas on each of the ports.

Exotic cars down in South Beach

Must See in Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Nhcris View Post
    You betcha. If you let me know what you are thinking I can give you specific recommendations. That's the same itinerary I am doing in December. Fair warning - None of these ports are as civilized and classy as Bermuda

Belize - Unless you are stopping in Harvest Caye, definitely take an excursion unless you just want to stay inside the cruise port. The city is rough and you don't want to just wander around there. If it's Harvest Caye, it's a brand new private island (not even open yet) and you won't need to plan anything as there will be a beach, bars, restaurants & activities right there.

Honduras - if it is Roatan, I recommend taking an excursion. Last time I was there it was still a little rough around the edges, but the snorkeling is fabulous. I hear there are some nice beaches, but I haven't been. I don't recommend Gumbalinda park. We hated it.

Cozumel - You can easily grab a cab to a beach. There are some decent beach clubs that have packages if you want something all inclusive for the day. It is also fun (although hectic) to do some shopping downtown right where the ships dock. I never miss Panchos Backyard for their fish tacos!

Costa Maya - Very easy to get to Majahaul by taxi (or they may have a shuttle bus thingy now) which is a fishing village with a bunch of beachfront bars/restaurants. If you order food & drinks, chairs are usually free. It's a very inexpensive way to spend a day. I believe there are some nicer places since last time I was there, & I am planning on trying one of those this time.

Don't forget to check out the Cruise Critic ports of call forum for specific ideas on each of the ports.
    @Nhcris, here is our itinerary that week:
    Tues: Roatan Bay, Honduras
    Wed: Harvest Caye, Belize (Yay!)
    Thurs: Costa Maya
    Fri: Cozumel

Will we be at any of the same ports in the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by BorgataBabe View Post
    @Nhcris, here is our itinerary that week:
    Tues: Roatan Bay, Honduras
    Wed: Harvest Caye, Belize (Yay!)
    Thurs: Costa Maya
    Fri: Cozumel

Will we be at any of the same ports in the same day?

o, unfortunately we are pretty much doing the opposite. But I bet our ships will pass at sea! I'll be the tipsy one with a fruity drink stumbling to the rail to wave HELLO!!

Gulfstream Park, but not sure of distance or logistics from airport. Am interested actually also so will research this weekend and let you know. Congrats on your getaway, exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by BorgataBabe View Post
    My DH and I are going on the NCL Getaway in December... Which race track is the closest to the airport area, we will probably just book a room somewhere right near the airport and cruise terminal. Also, not renting a car, we'll Uber or cab it everywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by moemoe View Post
    Gulfstream Park, but not sure of distance or logistics from airport. Am interested actually also so will research this weekend and let you know. Congrats on your getaway, exciting!
    I looked this up, if we stay at the Biscayne Bay Marriott, Gulfstream is approximately 30 minutes away. My nephew goes to Barry University, we'll probably take him to dinner that night. If he doesn't have plans maybe he will want to go there with us.