User Tag List

Page 29 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb eating doesn't suck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BorgataBabe View Post
    Michelle, I had just made cabbage soup not escarole but I can give you a recipe for Italian escarole soup which does not have beans in it, let me know if you want that one.

Although I often make escarole and beans, I just sauté garlic cloves in extra virgin olive oil, season to your liking with salt, pepper, I also add crushed red pepper flakes. Add your beans (I use cannellini beans, I buy organic canned and add the beans from the can with the juice), add your escarole and then add as much water as you want your consistency to be. I like mine more like a stew so I don't add too much water, if you want more like a soup, add more water.

FYI, I don't add salt when I cook but I told you to use it because most people do. I just make everyone add their own salt if they want to use it. You can always add but you can't take it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, the one without beans I would like. Isn't that what you cooked for the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I would love to see your recipes, I am eating clean as well! Boring is a necessity for me with my schedule, meaning I meal prep on Sunday night and eat the same thing for lunch all week. Usually southwest seasoned ground turkey and veggies wrapped in romaine.
    I also meal prep on most Sundays, as long as one of my boys aren't at some all day sporting event. I sometimes feel their sports get in the way of me eating better because we grab and go during baseball season but I just have to make a better or different effort this upcoming baseball season.

On Sundays, I do a lot of grilled chicken and baked veggies, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, asparagus and then I have a different variety of veggies for the week.

If I wanted a time out, I would go back to kindergarten.

Quote Originally Posted by michelelovesvegas View Post
    Yes, the one without beans I would like. Isn't that what you cooked for the holidays?
    Well, my MIL usually makes escarole soup for the holidays but I also make it. I don't give exact measurements but I'll try to give you something to start with.

For the broth:

Heat extra virgin olive, then sauté several garlic cloves until soft but don't burn them.
    Add in your cleaned escarole with stems removed and sauté until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken broth, amount depends on how much soup you want to make.

Now this is the hard part, making the meatballs. We use ground pork and ground veal only but I think a lot of people use beef. If you want a soft, delicious meatball, use pork and veal.

For the soup you only need a 1/2 pound of each, one pound total. You season your meat with salt, pepper, fresh garlic pressed, a little fresh parsley, one egg, a little milk (less than a 1/4 cup), I make fresh grated bread crumb with white bread, blended in the blender, about 2/3 pieces and Italian grated cheese, one nice handful. You mix all of that together and start rolling little bite sized meatballs.

Use a nice size frying pan with hot vegetable oil and start frying the meatballs until they are lightly brown, don't fry them to dark. Drain the meatballs on a dish with a few paper towels and place them in the soup broth.

Let the soup continue to cook until the meatballs have flavored your soup. We also like to add cheese tortellini to our escarole soup but we make that and keep the tortellini separate and add to the soup, this way it doesn't overlook in the soup and fall apart. You have to add grated Italian cheese and red pepper flake if you like it.

Nothing like escarole soup on a cold day!

If I wanted a time out, I would go back to kindergarten.

Blog Entries
    Well, my MIL usually makes escarole soup for the holidays but I also make it. I don't give exact measurements but I'll try to give you something to start with.

For the broth:

Heat extra virgin olive, then sauté several garlic cloves until soft but don't burn them.
    Add in your cleaned escarole with stems removed and sauté until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken broth, amount depends on how much soup you want to make.

Now this is the hard part, making the meatballs. We use ground pork and ground veal only but I think a lot of people use beef. If you want a soft, delicious meatball, use pork and veal.

For the soup you only need a 1/2 pound of each, one pound total. You season your meat with salt, pepper, fresh garlic pressed, a little fresh parsley, one egg, a little milk (less than a 1/4 cup), I make fresh grated bread crumb with white bread, blended in the blender, about 2/3 pieces and Italian grated cheese, one nice handful. You mix all of that together and start rolling little bite sized meatballs.

Use a nice size frying pan with hot vegetable oil and start frying the meatballs until they are lightly brown, don't fry them to dark. Drain the meatballs on a dish with a few paper towels and place them in the soup broth.

Let the soup continue to cook until the meatballs have flavored your soup. We also like to add cheese tortellini to our escarole soup but we make that and keep the tortellini separate and add to the soup, this way it doesn't overlook in the soup and fall apart. You have to add grated Italian cheese and red pepper flake if you like it.

Thanks for this! I may have to use beef, as we are under severe storm and can't get out. Store probably closed anyways!! I normally use veal and pork for meatballs. Have to put on my boots to get to the garden to get the parsley, I already harvested all the escarole. Have no tortellni but do have some ditalini I could put in. Yum!!

Low carb eating doesn't suck!

Radishes are the best! I made this delicious breakfast hash this morning, inspired by Laurie’s post the other night. I took leftover roast beef, radishes (parboiled them) and half an onion and fried them up in butter. I threw on an over easy egg. It was so delicious & very low carb!

Last edited by chrissyDee; 01-03-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Wow that looks really good! I have some radishes left. Will try this soon!

Blog Entries

For the broth:

Yummmm! This sounds delish.
    Dawn

OMG, I have a new low carb favorite...cauliflower fried rice!

I had frozen cauliflower rice to which I added baby corn, mushrooms and cabbage. Then I added the scrambled eggs and a sauce of ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and fish sauce. It looks so blah, but it's delicious and easy. Can't wait to try it with different combinations of veggies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyDee View Post
    Radishes are the best! I made this delicious breakfast hash this morning, inspired by Laurie’s post the other night. I took leftover roast beef, radishes (parboiled them) and half an onion and fried them up in butter. I threw on an over easy egg. It was so delicious & very low carb!

Delicious! I keep forgetting to get radishes!

@Laurie, I'm making your Reuben pizza tonight...so excited! Were the layers thousand island, corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese?