User Tag List

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Southwest Airlines

Site is swamped tonight, can barely get it to go anywhere without an internal service error. My flight that doubled yesterday went back down $107. I was going to get it when I got home but then it went back to $157. The fares are a hot mess right now with the ton of traffic. Hope it's good once the sale ends hehe

From my experience they will have a better sale next week...It has happened 2 years in a row. Last year they had good prices this week..I booked and then rebooked and had a credit as they got better the next week....But it may not happen this year...

Last year the Thanksgiving flight was $99 up to the day before I left. I'm fairly certain that will repeat itself!
    I was browsing a flight schedule for BWI-LAS on Alaska Airlines. It was BWI-Seattle. Seattle to Bellingham,WA. 10 Hour Layover. Bellingham-Vegas. It was almost a 23 hour travel day and close to $800. I thought it might be fun if a little cheaper..hehe (Or not!)

If you want to get in at Southwest try going in under the flexable dates option. I was able to get the monthly calendar up,,,could not get anywhere the other way. They have had sales before, I think this is more than just that....Nevermind I could only get to that point, if I tried to pick dates I got the spinning circle....

The site has been down all afternoon

Yeah I don't really want to get all the way and then they won't take my $$. I'll wait for the crazies to get out and snag the cheap outbound flight and wait out the return.

Couple of Southwest Tips:

(1) Hidden City Ticketing is the practice of buying a ticket to a destination to which you do not intend to travel with the intention of disembarking at a connection. A few years ago, you could save a lot of money by doing this, but Airlines are getting smarter and the benefits while still there are now a lot less. To illustrate, a one way ticket to Vegas on Southwest costs me $240 but a one way ticket to Reno is $210. Guess where the flight to Reno connects through?

(2) Vegas is a fairly substantial hub for Southwest in the west. There are at least 15 destinations that will connect through Vegas with the first leg being a nonstop from my home airport -- examples: Reno, L.A., Sacramento. You can narrow these down by just looking at the Southwest Map "Where We Fly" and seeing the nonstops originating in Vegas.

(3) So, instead of flying to Vegas, check the price to fly to "Reno" or another nearby destination served from Vegas and just don't get on that connection.

(4) Be careful: unless by coincidence you do not have to change a plane, by going through the reboarding process (you know, the "ding" part), Southwest will know that you did not complete the second leg of your flight and (i) you will in all probably not get Southwest points; and (ii) it may cancel the return portion of you flight (so only buy one way tickets, which are the same price). Also, you cannot do a "backwards hidden city", that is just use the connection portion of your ticket -- at least so I heard, I've never actually tried this. Finally, while I don't think Southwest's travel terms expressly prohibit this practice, other airlines do and it is kind of a legal gray area to be kind. You're not going to get arrested, of course, you may be subject to whatever penalties are specified in the terms of travel for having done it (though I've never heard of anyone ever getting nailed for this).
    NOLEMAN

The Threadjacker

I most always book one ways on southwest. I have never used hidden city ticketing yet because from Dallas seems like it's not cheaper

Blog Entries
    SWA website still wouldn't complete a reservation this morning, still crashing. However, their app was able to complete the reservation.
    #######
    Fair dinkum legend

Southwest Airlines: 'Sale crashed our website'

Southwest Airlines Co.'s website is slowing to a crawl, and the airline blames heavy response to a sale on fall travel.

Visitors to southwest.com late Wednesday afternoon saw a "system alert" warning that "you may experience difficulty" on the site. When one visitor tried to book a trip, there was no immediate response from the site, and eventually the screen flipped to a "Gateway Timeout."

Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King said the airline added capacity to the website in anticipation of high demand from a 3-day sale that began Tuesday, but the response was bigger than expected. King said workers were trying to restore the website's functions. She said customers could try later or call the airline for help.

The sale included prices as low as $49 one-way on short trips to $149 each way for long trips, and covered travel between Aug. 25 and Dec. 16. Like most airline sales, there were many conditions including blackout dates around Labor Day and Thanksgiving, and Southwest didn't say how many seats would be available at the sale prices.

American Airlines and United Airlines confirmed that they matched Southwest's fares on routes where they compete.

Rick Seaney, CEO of FareCompare.com, said Delta, Alaska, Virgin America and Frontier also had fares matching Southwest on overlapping routes, although he added that it was "hard to tell who matched and who initiated" because there were so many new fares filed on Tuesday. The first week in June is a perennial time for fall-travel sales, he said.
    At lunch it wasn't even doing anything. Will check out the app, thanks Trey!