User Tag List

Thread: MGM Slot Tournaments

MGM Slot Tournaments

I've seen several of you participate in slot tournaments in Vegas. I've never gotten an invite to any of them and don't quite understand how it all works and the attraction. For example, Borgata has had slot tournaments by invite that I've tried. They pretty much have machines set up for the tourney and you sit at any one of them, put your card in and away you go. I've never gotten anywhere close to have a good score. I guess it's really all about picking the lucky machine. As for strategy, everyone seems to be doing the same thing, banging away at the play button as fast as they can.

So, are Vegas tournaments essentially the same? The invite I got is not for a high dollar (maybe everyone else got the same); I think there are 300 total winners??? Top prize is $10,000. Comp room is included, but just for the one night, so no different from choosing a room on the availability calendar. What drives you to make a trip to participate in a tournament? Is it the particular amount? Any other perks that you look for? I probably can't go for the one I got as it's in September and I have other trips planned, but if I get other invites, I might consider it. Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowAndSlow For This Useful Post:

MGM Slot Tournaments

I think people participate in slot tournaments just for the chance to win freeplay. Some people (King Jason) have great luck and end up with huge amounts of freeplay. Tournaments can be a good deal if the minimum freeplay prize is more that your standard freeplay offer.

I stopped participating in MLIfe tournaments because the are considered a comp offer and, in Vegas, you’re not allowed to use your regular freeplay and resort credit offer with the tournament offer. I’d usually have to win first or second place to come out ahead. Most regular tournaments have at least 300 participants.

Years ago slot tournaments came with a welcome gift, tournament play, and super fancy dinners. Over time all of the extras went away for regular slot tournaments. Some buy in and VIP tournaments still have all the extras. I have terrible tournament luck so I don’t bother doing buy in tournaments.

King Jason and I are participating in a VIP tournament next weekend at Cosmo. We’re planning a joint TR for our fellow Joker’s entertainment.
    Last edited by Elf70; 07-29-2021 at 12:07 PM.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Elf70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks @Elf70 for this good information. I've never had luck in the rinky dink tournaments at the B, and if it's considered a comp that will cancel out other offers, that wouldn't be worth it either. Now I see where the prize structure is based on a minimum of 300 participants but can be adjusted based on participation. Good luck to you and Jason next weekend. Looking forward to the report!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowAndSlow For This Useful Post:

Pat
    I have to disagree a little with Elf. I've participated in MGM tournaments for several years now. Almost 10. I still receive my normal FP and resort offers even if I participate in a slot tournament. I believe most of my tournaments were ones that I paid an entry fee for, so I don't know if that made a difference or not. With all the new rules, and since I haven't played in a tournament for two years, what Elf said may be true now. It took me a long time to decide to play in one, and I found them to be a lot of fun and well thought out. Food is free as well as the drinks in the tournament room. The tournaments usually have a theme. Good luck next weekend @Elf70

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:

I’ve given Mlife two trips as @Elf introduced me to her host and I’m starting to get the tourney offers. I asked the host about the policies and he says they are “either/or”. Some of the prize pools seem decent, but like they Elf said never nearly good enough to give up my free play, or especially pay. I’ve paid 3-4K for Cosmo tournies and they’ve been good value! If Mlife let me do a promo and get the tourney too it might be enough to make my head turn and go for it. I’m wondering if they’ve gotten cheaper in the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KingJasonSlots For This Useful Post:

Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJasonSlots View Post
    I’ve given Mlife two trips as @Elf introduced me to her host and I’m starting to get the tourney offers. I asked the host about the policies and he says they are “either/or”. Some of the prize pools seem decent, but like they Elf said never nearly good enough to give up my free play, or especially pay. I’ve paid 3-4K for Cosmo tournies and they’ve been good value! If Mlife let me do a promo and get the tourney too it might be enough to make my head turn and go for it. I’m wondering if they’ve gotten cheaper in the last couple of years.

Jason, I think you are spot on. They have gotten cheaper. Also several years ago, the hosts had some leeway it what they could or could not give away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:

Miss seeing you, Pat!

Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJasonSlots View Post
    Miss seeing you, Pat!

same here Jason. Maybe someday our paths will cross in Vegas. We were supposed to be there on Tuesday but decided to postpone it. Good luck.